• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Just One Falsetto

Did anyone see the preposterous (but-one-couldn't-help-watching) programme on BBC 1 on Tuesday at 10.30pm fronted by Alan Yentob?
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Comment

• Mary Chambers
      • Nov 2010

I watched it for the contribution by Iestyn Davies, one of the singers I most admire. There wasn't enough of him!

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I haven't watched it yet, but the phenomenon of falsetto singing in pop music is interesting, isn't it, even if you don't like the genre?

I remember a radio programmes/programmes on this.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I watched it for the contribution by Iestyn Davies, one of the singers I most admire
          Yes, he was good, and it was amusing to watch him trying (unsuccessfully) to get Yentob into his head-voice. But I must say I thought Yentob's interviewing crass and the programme repetitive and unstructured. But I suppose it was on BBC 1.

Comment

• decantor
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            Yes, he was good, and it was amusing to watch him trying (unsuccessfully) to get Yentob into his head-voice. But I must say I thought Yentob's interviewing crass and the programme repetitive and unstructured. But I suppose it was on BBC 1.
            I agree with your strictures about this programme, ardcarp - surely Yentob is usually better than this, even on BBC1? Most intriguing were the medic's pictures of the falsetto vocal folds in action. I was disappointed that over 40 mins of the hour were devoted to music in the popular genre: barber-shopping, Freshmen, and Beach Boys at least had craft in the arrangements and performance, but more recent pop efforts with falsetto seemed to me to be no more than a sub-species of screaming. The choice of Harrow Chapel choir to provide the choral samples was strange: the presence of boy altos clouded rather than clarified the issues under scrutiny, and perhaps indicates how little producer and presenter understood their topic. Thank heaven for Purcell and Iestyn Davies - though it beats me how Deller, Bowman, and Jaroussis were passed over in planning such a programme: perhaps the corny-etto title should have warned us.
            Last edited by decantor; 12-07-12, 00:11.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

The choice of Harrow Chapel choir to provide the choral samples was strange: the presence of boy altos clouded rather than clarified the issues under scrutiny, and perhaps indicates how little producer and presenter understood their topic. Thank heaven for Purcell and Iestyn Davies - though it beats me how Deller, Bowman, and Jaroussis were passed over in planning such a programme: perhaps the corny-etto title should have warned us.
              My thoughts exactly, decantor.

Comment

• doversoul1
                Ex Member
                • Dec 2010

I watched the beginning of the programme from this link yesterday but when I went back today, the content seemed different. Are there more than one episodes?

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                  • Nov 2010

My thoughts exactly, decantor.
                  ...and mine!

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Maybe I'm a pleb but I enjoyed the programme - the way that the sound of the Four Freshmen merged into the Beach Boys was interesting - I can see that anyone watching who prefers a strict classical approach would find it wanting, but for me who enjoys improvising harmony I found it instructive.

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

I can see that anyone watching who prefers a strict classical approach would find it wanting, but for me who enjoys improvising harmony I found it instructive.
                      Did you even enjoy that greasy slob who proclaimed he was (a) the best falsettist in the universe and (b) irresistable to all women? Yuk.

Comment

• doversoul1
                        Ex Member
                        • Dec 2010

Did you even enjoy that greasy slob who proclaimed he was (a) the best falsettist in the universe and (b) irresistable to all women? Yuk.
                        You watched a wrong programme. It has nothing to do with anything about countertenor. From what I saw, albeit not very long, I can only think that the slots about Iestyn Davies and Harrow Chapel choir were put in just to say ‘they do it over there, too’. In order to add a bit of weight to the subject, maybe? I watched it for some half an hour and thoroughly regretted it.

cloughie
                        This does not mean I thought the programme was complete rubbish. It was because I had expected something different. The reference to slavery would have been interesting if I’d had the right mind set.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

I'm more interested in the sound than the personalities!

Comment

• verismissimo
                            • Nov 2010

Perhaps we'll get a programme on Cornetto commercials from Mr Yentob next?

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

I
                              'm more interested in the sound than the personalities!
                              ...didn't go a bundle on that either!

Comment

Working...
                              X