X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Some years ago they built a flood prevetion gate (which I've never seen closed) about two thirds of the way between Malpas and Truro...just upriver of Calenick Creek where the river begins to narrow. This is the obvious place to build the lock, and it would result in the reach up to Truro being permanently full and very pictureaque. The loss of habitat (i.e. mud) to wildlife would be minimal as the vast area of the Fal, Tresilian and Truro Rivers would still be tidal and provide plenty of habitat for wading birds. At present a large-ish dredger comes up and dumps sand on the Truro quays, so if this minimal commercial activity were to continue the lock would need to be wide enough to accommodate smallish coasters. The present tidal gate is obviously wide enough, so that would be a pattern for the lock. The lock at Morlaix would be about the right size, I think. Such a pity about that awful mini ring road which cuts off the reach above Truro. It's a nightmare for pedestrians to cross and it really spoils the City IMO, but it's probably too late to re-think that one. Should we start a new thread for armchair marine/civil engineers?

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Some years ago they built a flood prevetion gate (which I've never seen closed) about two thirds of the way between Malpas and Truro...just upriver of Calenick Creek where the river begins to narrow. This is the obvious place to build the lock, and it would result in the reach up to Truro being permanently full and very pictureaque. The loss of habitat (i.e. mud) to wildlife would be minimal as the vast area of the Fal, Tresilian and Truro Rivers would still be tidal and provide plenty of habitat for wading birds. At present a large-ish dredger comes up and dumps sand on the Truro quays, so if this minimal commercial activity were to continue the lock would need to be wide enough to accommodate smallish coasters. The present tidal gate is obviously wide enough, so that would be a pattern for the lock. The lock at Morlaix would be about the right size, I think. Such a pity about that awful mini ring road which cuts off the reach above Truro. It's a nightmare for pedestrians to cross and it really spoils the City IMO, but it's probably too late to re-think that one. Should we start a new thread for armchair marine/civil engineers?
      With the future developments planned to the east of the city things are bound to get worse!

Comment

• decantor
        • Dec 2010

BTW, are you of a sailing disposition, decantor?
        I regret not - they always referred to me as the passenger since I was so inept as crew. And, as my family and I have aged, the transport has shrunk to a mere Shrimper on the higher reaches above St Mawes. But it's a neck of the woods that has engaged me for well over thirty years, and I claim something like baronial rights. Your project appeals to me, ardcarp, and I suggest you apply for EU or Lottery funding. Then again, I still can't envisage that massive Truro marina when you admit to drying against a wall!

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

decantor. A 'mere Shrimper' puts you firmly, whether you like it or not, in the category of sailor...or in your case sailor baron. If you're referring to the same 'higher reaches above St Mawes' as I think you are, then I shall henceforward dip my ensign to any passing Shrimper in that region hoping it will be the right one.

Comment

• decantor
            • Dec 2010

decantor. A 'mere Shrimper' puts you firmly, whether you like it or not, in the category of sailor...or in your case sailor baron. If you're referring to the same 'higher reaches above St Mawes' as I think you are, then I shall henceforward dip my ensign to any passing Shrimper in that region hoping it will be the right one.
            Most courteous, ardcarp - your salute will be acknowledged as soon as we can find our ensign. You'll most likely spot us messing about like Swallows and Amazons on the Percuil within sight of Place. The Shrimper is easily recognised - green, with an inexplicable name across the transom, and with the sail barely full even on a reach. Any chance of a tow? We tend to pay salvage in gin.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

...my mooring's just upriver from Place. What a co-incidence. Konsort.

Comment

• Roger Judd
                • Apr 2012

mw963 - yes, guilty as charged! It was me wot played the Dupré on that broadcast - very glad you enjoyed it, and even more amazed that you remembered the occasion. I subsequently recorded it on a Herald CD at Windsor (sorry, intrusive advertising!), where there are no compression worries - Brian Johnson and his team captured the sound of the organ at full bore magnificently.

Ardcarp & Decantor - I've just returned from Truro, and envy you those glorious waterways - a most beautiful area.
                RJ

Comment

• mw963
                  • Feb 2012

Well I was fairly certain it was you - it's a splendid piece and your performance (the first time I'd heard it) was electrifying.

I did finally get the sheet music a couple of year ago, sadly way beyond my poor abilities....

Thank you again!

Comment

Working...
                  X