X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pole_2_pole
    • Sep 2024

Carols for Christmas Day: From Winchester Cathedral

Did anyone catch this? Would be interesting to hear what people thought... Quite different to the King's and Liverpool offerings.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pole_2_pole View Post
    Did anyone catch this? Would be interesting to hear what people thought... Quite different to the King's and Liverpool offerings.
    It was very different from the Liverpool/King's versions, feeling more intimate, though it did appear to more "staged". I just wish broadcasters could move away from Katherine Jenkins (Winchester) and Russell Watson (Songs of Praise).

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

KJ did what she had to do quite well, I thought. The bass was awful, and I hated the over-dramatised readings.

(Why don't the girls get to wear surplices?)

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I was just thinking that I didn't see the point of an orchestra - then we had a West Gallery carol, so it made sense.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

What channel was it on might catch this.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• moeranbiogman

A marvellous offering. Joe McGann over-dramatised? I thought his readings were quiet yet confident, beautifully shaped. INteresting to compare Winchester's 'Lux Aurumque' with Kings'.

Comment

• pole_2_pole

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              What channel was it on might catch this.
              Was originally on BBC2 at 6pm on Christmas Day. Still on the iPlayer, though.

I think the flow was a little disturbed by the soloists (not impressed with Lemalu, really) and the readings where a little over dramatic at times!

Choirs were excellent and on fine form.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Anyone know how to circumvent barring of BBC TV i-player in foreign countries? Whilst I can get radio on LA, TV programmes come up with 'not available in your area'. I am in Norway, by the way.

Comment

• pole_2_pole

A few clips have appeared on YouTube already... I spotted them yesterday.

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

difficult though they are, I think the semi-quavers in 'For unto us a child is born' would have been more successful if the whole movement had been at a quicker tempo

Comment

• Lizzie
                      • Nov 2010

Dear All. So glad that, in the main, this broadcast was so much enjoyed. I know we at Winchester were very pleased with it and, as most on this Forum know, I am always SO proud of ALL our musicians. I have to admit, the Bass soloist ruined the lovely Cornelius for me. Ridiculously dramatic and with far too much vibrato. The Basses in the Choir would have sounded far better. Our Girls don't wear surplices. Their cassocks have white piping and look very simply smart. They have a wonderfully warm sound and their sound and that of the Boys, gel very well IMO. I rather enjoyed Joe McGann's readings which gave expression and warmth, again IMO of course. Anyway, hopefully the programme added well to everyones' happy Christmas. Do visit up sometime and please come and say 'Hello'. You will always be sure of a warm welcome amongst us. Best. Liz

Comment

• Phil

Thought Winchester were best of the three by far. The boys, and the girls appeared more animated and enjoying the music. The gentlemen better balanced than the Kings Scholars, although Kings generally IMHO were better than I have heard then for a while. Didn't care much for the bass soloist, a huge voice but not right for the music he was asked to sing. KC sounded less plummy than usual but has other obvious attractions.

Happy New Year to all of you

Phil

Comment

• Lizzie
                          • Nov 2010

KC Phil?? Wasn't that someone from the 70s with a 'Sunshine Band'?! Liz

Comment

• Y Mab Afradlon
                            • Nov 2010

That's the way (ah ha ah ha) that's the way he likes it Lizzie Ah ha, ah ha...........

Comment

• Lizzie
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Y Mab Afradlon View Post
                              That's the way (ah ha ah ha) that's the way he likes it Lizzie Ah ha, ah ha...........
                              Y Mab Afradlon Excellent!

Comment

Working...
                              X