MacMillan: Kiss on Wood
    Palestrina: Stabat Mater
    Tavener: Popule Meus
    MacMillan: Seven Last Words from the Cross

King's College Choir,
    Guy Johnston (cello),
    Britten Sinfonia,
    Stephen Cleobury (conductor)

Macmillan very fine. Tiny bit over-cluttered for my taste. Men of KCC were very good indeed - declamatory, sensitive, well-shaped singing; boys from time to time electrifying, and all parts had some unreachably fiendish entries. Worth LAing.

NB: many apologies for not flagging this up earlier. Been quite a day here.
  • decantor
    • Dec 2010

Quite agree, Draco. The whole concert was well tuned to Good Friday, and the Macmillan is an out-of-body experience well rendered by these forces (I listened while reading the composer's own programme notes online - very worthwhile). I'm hoping tomorrow's TV presentation by KCC does not pale too much by comparison.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

I think it has to, doesn't it? Some very tough material tonight. Not sure those lads were ever more than just about bravely hanging in there at times. Some thrilling singing at different moments. The Britten Sinfonia I thought were first rate.

Comment

• decantor
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        I think it has to, doesn't it? Some very tough material tonight. Not sure those lads were ever more than just about bravely hanging in there at times. Some thrilling singing at different moments. The Britten Sinfonia I thought were first rate.
        You're right, of course. Maybe I should have written "doesn't pale into total insignificance". Then we can live in hope.

The band was monumentally good, as was Guy Johnson. One could almost sense the live audience (lucky beasts!) holding their breath for long minutes - as was I. I reluctantly agree that at times the youngsters were riding on the skin of their teeth, but hang in bravely they did....... well enough to prove that KCC is far from a spent force.

In case anyone resorting to LA would also like to read the text and composer's notes, they can be found here:-
        Composer contemporary music new music modern music 20th century music twentieth century music orchestral opera Dance contemporary dance repertoire news programme notes soundclips Bote & Bock Simrock Anton Benjamin composing books recording CD scores libretto biography performing programming broadcasting library student journalism press hire synopsis premiere compositeur

Comment

Working...
        X