X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Miles Coverdale
    Late Member
    • Dec 2010

The organ has actually toned down quite a lot over the years. Francis Grier recorded Messiaen's Messe de la PentecĂ´te fairly soon after it was installed and the high frequencies practically slice your ears off. And I agree with Chris Watson that Stevie Farr made it sound wonderful. I particularly remember a fantastic performance of Messiaen's Combat de la Mort et de la Vie as we processed out one day.
    My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• yorks_bass

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      I remember being in a pub once and hearing a previous DoM at CCCO regaling the company with his thoughts on the organ. Only I don't think he used the word 'organ' exactly.
      Well on the basis that the organ is Preston's fault, and there's only been one man between him and Stephen Darlington...

I seem to remember from my days towards the end of Cantoris, rather too near that organ for comfort, that it was fairly unpleasant to sing with, and to hear in most of the repertoire performed there. But, as always, to each his own. Glad to see positive comments about the service - may get around to listening for once!

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

While we've still got our anoraks on, it seems there is agreement about the unsuitability of an ultra-Barok [sis] organ to accompany Anglican liturgy. The ultra-Barok tendency has been tamed a bit, I think, (as have the instruments in CCO and NCO) and I have played a couple of new 'classical' instruments by Skrabl which seem a lot less strident. I have reservations also, however about whether German Baroque instruments make any sort of convincing French sounds. OK you can couple a load of 8' s together to sound like a Montre, but really can one compare Massaien, Dupre, Vierne et al played on a Rieger with ditto played on a big French beast such as St Sulpice or Notre Dame? A slight exception may be the organ in Exeter College Oxford which has a definite French accent. I had a crack at a small recently restored 2-manual Cavaille-Coll in Brittany last week and it was not dissimilar to ECO,

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

St Giles Edinburgh is a Rieger too, isn't it. I wonder what repertoire it best suits. I suppose one wouldn't expect an Austrian firm to produce a particularly French-sounding instrument.

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
            • May 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            St Giles Edinburgh is a Rieger too, isn't it. I wonder what repertoire it best suits. I suppose one wouldn't expect an Austrian firm to produce a particularly French-sounding instrument.
            Michael Bonaventure has recorded several discs of late Messiaen on it, with great success https://classicalmusicsentinel.com/K...naventure.html

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

Sounds good to me and the cover is very stylish!

Comment

• paul duggan2

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                While we've still got our anoraks on, it seems there is agreement about the unsuitability of an ultra-Barok [sis] organ to accompany Anglican liturgy. The ultra-Barok tendency has been tamed a bit, I think, (as have the instruments in CCO and NCO) and I have played a couple of new 'classical' instruments by Skrabl which seem a lot less strident. I have reservations also, however about whether German Baroque instruments make any sort of convincing French sounds. OK you can couple a load of 8' s together to sound like a Montre, but really can one compare Massaien, Dupre, Vierne et al played on a Rieger with ditto played on a big French beast such as St Sulpice or Notre Dame? A slight exception may be the organ in Exeter College Oxford which has a definite French accent. I had a crack at a small recently restored 2-manual Cavaille-Coll in Brittany last week and it was not dissimilar to ECO,
                Rieger at St Marylebone very nice for French rep - obviously different to Cav Coll but still valid, I think. Gloucester Cath organ great for French rep but...English..

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

..and then there's Buckfast Abbey.

Comment

• paul duggan2

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                    ..and then there's Buckfast Abbey.
                    Bit of a heap these days, I think

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

In need of a pile of cash spent on it, agreed, but this Ralph Downes inspired Wlaker makes all the right noises, IMHO.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
                        I felt that boys' sound was very good, especially in view of the acoustic - the best it's been in some time. Either I'm just getting used to it, or the masively mannered lengthened penultimate psalm syllable per quarter has been reined in a bit. How does it now compare with NCO? While there was plenty of gutsy singing appropriate for the 'Dicin' wiv Death', it just doesn't work with that squeaks & f*rts Austrian Rieger. (That really was one of the worst travesties of the late 70s, neo-classical revival, despite its better-fitting case.)
                        I too liked the Pott set, but will need to spend longer on the FG anthem before forming any opinion.
                        I know it's my fault for kicking off this 'Rieger reject' sub-topic that was relevant to this House thread, but it seems to have gone way off now and perhaps futher discussion in this vein should be in a separate thread of its own, which as an uber-anorak I would much relish, but I'm conscious of the kicking we're about to get here...(from the purists (Puritans?) with their axes and hammers)

Comment

• ardcarp
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Probably a good idea, F4e, so the ball's in your court. Mind you, is there any thread on The Forum that ever sticks to the point?

Comment

• Double Diapason

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
                            I know it's my fault for kicking off this 'Rieger reject' sub-topic that was relevant to this House thread, but it seems to have gone way off now and perhaps futher discussion in this vein should be in a separate thread of its own, which as an uber-anorak I would much relish, but I'm conscious of the kicking we're about to get here...(from the purists (Puritans?) with their axes and hammers)
                            Well quite but has it not all been said before?! I certainly remember posting my own thoughts on the Reiger having had to use it to accompany choral services a while back. Bottom line is that it is rubbish at accompanying and playing much of the repertoire but good at playing some repertoire. THE most useless instrument of its size I have come across!
                            For other anorak discussion of matters organic the Manders board covers that I would have thought? Maybe see you there F4e! I'm Double Ophicleide over there.......

Comment

• Simon

Back to the actual singing, I enjoyed the psalms, which I think were done very well. I think the gabblegabblehangabout has indeed been toned down a bit here. Let's hope that the same thing happens elsewhere in the locality...

Dyson good to hear again, but unlike Finzi4ever, I won't have to spend longer on the Grier anthem before forming an opinion. Indeed, I would consider five more seconds spent on it to be rather a waste of time, as it was for me just a formless, themeless, wandering mishmash. Not unpleasant, very often, but just completely forgettable.

As for the initial comments and tourist info section, :-) I find it impossible to get particularly agitated about them. Mostly, I think they are sensibly done and serve their purpose.
                              Last edited by Guest; 16-03-12, 23:41. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X