CE St Paul's Cathedral
    Eve of the Presentation of Christ in the Temple

Order of Service:

Introit: Senex puerum portabat (Byrd)
    Responses: Tomkins
    Psalm: 118 (Gray)
    First Lesson: 1 Samuel 1:19b-end
    Office Hymn: Quod chorus vatum (Tallis)
    Canticles: Collegium Sancti Johannis Cantabrigiense (Tippett)
    Second Lesson: Hebrews 4:11-end
    Anthem: Videte miraculum (Tallis)
    Final Hymn: New light has dawned (West Ashton)

Organ Voluntary: Rédemption (Franck, arr. Daniel Roth)

Simon Johnson (Organist)
    Andrew Carwood (Director of Music)
  • Magnificat

The Canticles: You either love them or loathe them.

VCC

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Whichever, they are far from easy to sing!

Comment

• Triforium
        • Nov 2010

The yellow peril - not so difficult, and not particularly avant garde at this point.

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
          • May 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          Whichever, they are far from easy to sing!
          You need good soloists for the Nunc, but apart from one slightly nasty/exposed entry for the trebles in the Magnificat it's not hard. Tippett was very skillful in that respect.

Comment

• Keraulophone
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Magnificat View Post
            The Canticles: You either love them or loathe them.
            I quite like them.

Comment

• Double Diapason

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
              I quite like them.
              Lets hope Simon Johnson takes the opportunity to give the Dome Trumpet Millitaire a blow in the Tippett - he has every opportunity! If the BBC mics are up to it of course......

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Can't wait to hear Videte Miraculum. Just love that repeated phrase on 'Cognoscit'. Very affecting. Interesting to hear how the St Paul's men do the plainsong bits. Will it be muscular or monk-like?

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

In that acoustic, they could wonderfully float it rather than declaim it.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Double Diapason View Post
                    Lets hope Simon Johnson takes the opportunity to give the Dome Trumpet Millitaire a blow in the Tippett - he has every opportunity! If the BBC mics are up to it of course......
                    Well it would hardly be feasible for him to use the Royal ones in the West and time it effectively, but would be jolly fun to hear the attempt if sitting in the middle!

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                      • Apr 2011

Gabriel is, of course, spot on. Some may not find it easy on the ear, but it's a surprisingly easy sing (though requiring an absolutely secure quartet in the Nunc: in my experience, it's usually the bass who goes awry!). Tippett (or his memory) doesn't get the credit that he (in my view) deserves for achieving some wonderful effects without unduly taxing a competent collegiate or cathedral choir. I think the same probably applies to the organ part (though I am no expert).

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
                        Late Member
                        • Dec 2010

Legend has it that after one performance, the dean of whichever cathedral it was started the Creed by saying 'I still believe in God …'
                        My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• Contre Bombarde

Originally posted by Double Diapason View Post
                          An interesting idea but I don't think that you should hold your breath... The Chancel Solo Organ Tuba (Willis 1872) might be considered a more musical choice for CE.

That's not to say that the 1930 Trompette Militaire isn't a thrilling sound in the right context; maybe an improvised fanfare for Easter or for jollying along a tardy congregation when the cathedral is full. The really big reeds in the dome are the wonderful Mander 8' and 4' Tubas from the last rebuild.These are loud without being raucous and able to blend with rather than obliterate the tutti.

Simon Johnson's recent DVD shows off all the organ's Tubas to some effect in Norman Cocker's "Tuba Tune" and the narrated version with Simon voicing over the piece gives some insight into the considerable technique required to control a large 5 manual instrument and produce thoroughly musical sounds while clearly enjoying the whole experience. There is also a short section demonstrating the West End Royal Trumpets and the sound delay experienced at the console.

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Just a reminder. Today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• Magnificat

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              Just a reminder. Today @ 3.30 p.m.
                              Draco

I thought the engineers got the sound right today after two or three mushy broadcasts. It was all very clearly audible to me with the echo well in the background. What did you think?

Can't make up my mind about the choir. I think they are getting better each time I hear them. I thought the men a bit raucous at times though. Boy soloist did well in the Nunc I thought.. I just wish St Paul's and some of our other top choirs would sing more smoothly whatever tone they have. Just a bit more refinement, Thought the same about Winchester actually. Don't find the Tippett very prayerful at the best of times but enjoyed the service overall.

VCC.

Comment

Working...
                              X