X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

has this now not reached the stage where the parishioners of St Paul's are being denied their right of a place to worship? or are they being allowed in another entrance?

Comment

• orbis factor

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      has this now not reached the stage where the parishioners of St Paul's are being denied their right of a place to worship? or are they being allowed in another entrance?
      I fear this may well be the case. There will be all sorts of complications involving insurance and health and safety - especially as the protesters have cooking equipment and fuel in close proximity to entrances/air vents etc. Not to mention the unseemly smell/noise/rubbish/debris everywhere - this not so much of a direct concern re keeping the place open but it is perhaps worth going to have a look. One can see instantly the difficulties the cathedral authorities face. I'm sure closing the cathedral at this time was not a decision taken lightly and must have been done with a considerable about of regret.

Comment

• Magnificat

There was a letter in yesterday's telegraoh from someone who spent a night in an hotel in Zaragoza opposite the baroque basilica. Evidently the square was filled with the tent of the indignados. He says the basilica continued to welcome the public and an Ascension Day procession threaded its way easily through the protesters

As I said above the RCs would never do what St Paul's has done. It's disgraceful.

VCC

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Magnificat View Post
          the RCs would never do what St Paul's has done
          you seem very confident about that, I'm interested to know why

I hadn't appreciated there was a religious dividing line when it comes to H & S
          Last edited by mercia; 26-10-11, 10:19.

Comment

• orbis factor

[QUOTE=Magnificat;94437]There was a letter in yesterday's telegraoh from someone who spent a night in an hotel in Zaragoza opposite the baroque basilica. Evidently the square was filled with the tent of the indignados. He says the basilica continued to welcome the public and an Ascension Day procession threaded its way easily through the protesters

As I said above the RCs would never do what St Paul's has done. It's disgraceful.

And you know this, do you? Have you ever worked at Westminster Cathedral or the Brompton Oratory, for example? Are you familiar with their codes of practice for this sort of situation if it were to arise there?

Comment

• amateur51

I've scoured Matthew 21:12 and can't find any reference to Christ's undertaking a detailed risk analysis before throwing out the money lenders and overturning their tables.

Mind there are plenty of doves outside St Paul's

Comment

• Mr Pee
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                I've scoured Matthew 21:12 and can't find any reference to Christ's undertaking a detailed risk analysis before throwing out the money lenders and overturning their tables.

Mind there are plenty of doves outside St Paul's
                I think you'll find they're feral pigeons, which -like the protesters- St. Pauls and the City of London would be better off without. Still, I reckon this rotten weather will swiftly send most of the happy campers scurrying back to their nice warm homes- or at least as far as the nearest Starbucks or McDonald's......
                Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Magnificat

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                  I think you'll find they're feral pigeons, which -like the protesters- St. Pauls and the City of London would be better off without. Still, I reckon this rotten weather will swiftly send most of the happy campers scurrying back to their nice warm homes- or at least as far as the nearest Starbucks or McDonald's......
                  Mr Pee,

Another letter in the Telegraph suggested that an extra full peal lasting four hours of some of the the heaviest and loudest bells in the country could well shift them!! ( and call the people to prayer at the same time - if the cathedral lets them in! )

Orbis Factor and Mercia,

All I can say to you is that the RCs, in Spain anyway, seem to have a greater belief than the Anglican clergy at St Paul's that God will not let their church burn down or allow their worshippers and visitors to be harmed whilst in His house.

All I can say to the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's is "O Ye Of Little Faith"

All I can say about Health and Safety is what I have already said - b--l--ks

VCC

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

anyone know the Baptist line on health & safety?
                    if the protest had been in the precincts of Westminster Cathedral would those authorities have allowed it to continue, or are they not so sympathetic to peaceful protest?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

i love how the 90% go home at night became a 'fact' which is now dissolving ....
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• orbis factor

Originally posted by Magnificat View Post
                        Mr Pee,

Another letter in the Telegraph suggested that an extra full peal lasting four hours of some of the the heaviest and loudest bells in the country could well shift them!! ( and call the people to prayer at the same time - if the cathedral lets them in! )

Orbis Factor and Mercia,

All I can say to you is that the RCs, in Spain anyway, seem to have a greater belief than the Anglican clergy at St Paul's that God will not let their church burn down or allow their worshippers and visitors to be harmed whilst in His house.

All I can say to the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's is "O Ye Of Little Faith"

All I can say about Health and Safety is what I have already said - b--l--ks

VCC
                        So you've no evidence to suggest that, other than in one place in Spain, the RCs wouldn't react in the same way as St Paul's? And you know no details about health and safety/issues at St Paul's, presumably - yet you're quite free with your opinions based almost entirely on conjecture. So what do you know exactly? Anything? Still, your uninformed rants administered from your back bedroom give those of us fortunate to work in the profession a good laugh now and again.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by orbis factor View Post
                          So you've no evidence to suggest that, other than in one place in Spain, the RCs wouldn't react in the same way as St Paul's? And you know no details about health and safety/issues at St Paul's, presumably - yet you're quite free with your opinions based almost entirely on conjecture. So what do you know exactly? Anything? Still, your uninformed rants administered from your back bedroom give those of us fortunate to work in the profession a good laugh now and again.
                          As I've pointed out before, orbis factor, you claim to know something but decline to reveal it. That's just as bad as what you're accusing Magnificat of doing but at least he's given us one example to back up his claim.

As I also mentioned before I invite you cordially to tell us what it is or to cease your double standards.

Is that mellow enough for you, french frank?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

where is the prof ?
                            Surely we are in need of some "academic" guidance ?
                            or maybe he is too busy praying that the barbarian hordes stay away from the academic temple ?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

It a great pity really all of this outside St Paul's. My ancestor's buried there for one!!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• orbis factor

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                As I've pointed out before, orbis factor, you claim to know something but decline to reveal it. That's just as bad as what you're accusing Magnificat of doing but at least he's given us one example to back up his claim.

As I also mentioned before I invite you cordially to tell us what it is or to cease your double standards.

Is that mellow enough for you, french frank?
                                It's a pretty poor example, Mr Amateur. I think it's self-evident that certain individuals here know no detail of considerations about any of this (the pros/cons of keeping the building open or not/safety of tourists and worshippers etc), save what appears in the paper. But pretty harsh judgements follow, nevertheless. As for me, I wouldn't be willing to make derogatory remarks about a place like St P's if I didn't have a full and frank view of the situation.
                                Whether I know details or not is irrelevant (I'm not sure I have made that claim though..) - in any case, it would not be for me to place any details of internal decision making on a gossipy forum like this (amusing though it is to read from time to time). All I would say to the likes of you and VCC is this: try to obtain facts before accusing an institution of 'disgraceful' behaviour. I'm sure one of the cathedral authority figures would be perfectly happy to fill you in on their side of things if you had the guts to write and ask.

Comment

Working...
                                X