X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

When we look at other countries (the recent "Arab Spring" is a classic example or the Tiananmen Square protests) we celebrate the way in which ordinary people protest against injustice , none of those things would be allowed in the UK without "permission"
    Mr GG, when I read such nonsense I once again wonder which planet you're living on. Unbelievable.

Anyway. Back to the decision to close St.Pauls.

The cathedral will be losing 20,000 pounds a day by the closure, so to suggest that the decision was taken lightly, or without good reason, is ridiculous.

As to the protesters- there was an interesting read in the Sunday Times yesterday by a journalist who spent a few nights camping with them. It seems that many of the protesters have simply pitched their tents and then buggered off to the comforts of home, returning now and again when the mood takes them. And most of the ones that do actually stay seem incapable of getting up. A plan to leaflet commuters arriving into the City at 7:30 am was abandoned when most "protesters" were still tucked up in their sleeping bags at 9 o'clock.

It's all rather pathetic. They've made their point. It's time they packed up and went back to their comfy homes- that is, those who are actually there in the first place.......
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post

The cathedral will be losing 20,000 pounds a day by the closure,
      Really? Maths not your strong point?

Comment

• orbis factor

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        That would be everybody but you, Orbis?
        The Dean's statement (see the link in my post above) explains fairly clearly why the cathedral authorities decided to close it; the arial photograph (link in the same post) indicates that there were/are no problems of access (all major entrances were clear) - none of that is speculation on my part - & the other concern - fire risks - could have been dealt with by negotiation.

If you know any other reasons perhaps you should make them clear, even if it would be 'crass' (!). Otherwise, yes, I think
        So, through your ariel photograph etc, you have all the info to know better than the cathedral authorities re decision making here? Interesting. I must bow to your superior judgement.

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Really? Maths not your strong point?
          I'm not sure what point you're making- not for the first time - but that was the figure given by a spokesman for the Cathedral on Sky news. 833 per hour, 20,000 per day, 140,000 per week, 560,000 per month.

There. Nothing wrong with my maths........
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

I'm not sure what point you're making- not for the first time - but that was the figure given by a spokesman for the Cathedral on Sky news. 833 per hour, 20,000 per day, 140,000 per week, 560,000 per month.

There. Nothing wrong with my maths........
            Erm if the money doesn't come in, your balance on the day is zero. If you've lost ÂŁ20,000 then your balance for the day is -ÂŁ20,000.

S'easy really

Comment

• John Skelton

Originally posted by orbis factor View Post
              So, through your ariel photograph etc, you have all the info to know better than the cathedral authorities re decision making here? Interesting. I must bow to your superior judgement.
              orbis factor - Occupy London say that "Unfortunately, despite our requests of the Cathedral, they have not provided us with details and information as to how we are perceived to be threatening health and safety." http://occupylsx.org/?p=337 Is that not the case, or is it misleading?

Comment

• Mr Pee
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Erm if the money doesn't come in, your balance on the day is zero. If you've lost ÂŁ20,000 then your balance for the day is -ÂŁ20,000.

S'easy really
                So pass that piece of arithmetical nit-picking on to the Cathedral authorities, who used the word LOST in the first place. It's pretty standard terminolgy here on planet earth, amateur. For example, after the riots earlier this year, businesses that had to close talked about LOSING money.

Really, I sometimes wonder why I bother........

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Really, I sometimes wonder why I bother........
                  aaah, progress

Do you realise that the Church of England is one of the biggest and wealthiest landowners in England, Mr Pee? Not losing any sleep over any of this.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Seems appropriate then Caliban that they are outside St Psul's!!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Mr GG, when I read such nonsense I once again wonder which planet you're living on. Unbelievable.
                      which part do you not understand ?
                      seems a perfectly straightforward statement to me ?
                      but you seem to be unable to engage in discussion
                      so tell me DO you really think that the Police NEVER make any mistakes or arrest the wrong people ?

but there again not all of us are living in virtual Malvern in the 1950's

Here's a website that you might find useful
                      (I would suggest that you start at KS1 as there are probably huge gaps in what you know !)

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

I knew this would get nasty.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                          I knew this would get nasty.
                          that's Christianity for you !

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

there was an interesting read in the Sunday Times yesterday by a journalist who spent a few nights camping with them. It seems that many of the protesters have simply pitched their tents and then buggered off to the comforts of home, returning now and again when the mood takes them.
                            I am in a degree of agreement with Mr P on this point - a report in the Guardian (Mr P might dispute the veracity of the following owing to its source) quotes a 'Fabian Flues' (which sounds like a fire-risk) as sying that he had moved to the camp in Finsbury Sq "This new site is actually even closer to my office. I can spend the night here and have a shower & get changed when I go to work", which does rather suggest he's missed the point. Still, I've no doubt that for every one person like that, there are sveral more who actually stick it out at the camp.

Comment

• Double Diapason

Oh dear, this has all got a bit childish really! On the plus side I believe that there was a "flash" evensong on the steps of St Paul's tonight - truly remarkable!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

So for those of you who ARE practising Christians
                                what do you think your church should be doing about the inequalities in our society and the way that some people seem to have had all their debts bailed out by the rest of us !
                                Yes, camping out in London is unlikely to have any significant impact or even change anything in a big way
                                but the must be more than a little bit of squirming going on in the minds of many of the rather well heeled so called Christians
                                from my understanding , Christianity is fairly unequivocal on this (I seem to remember something like Matthew 19:21 ??? )

like I said, its not my religion any more , but it is all of our problem

Comment

Working...
                                X