X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Harold Darke for boys' voices are lovely but rarely heard these days [....] they were heard on CE sung in that beautiful broadcast from Bramdean school years ago
    I remember it well. I wonder how many cathedrals do a top-line only (or for that matter men's voices only) evensong these days? And why not brcadcast one? There's some lovely repertoire (too much to list, but) eg It is a thing most wonderful/Ireland or Mag and Nunc in D/ William Harris also from that Bramdean broadcast.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
      • Nov 2010

I agree with CW on the Howells setting and should also add the Shephard as an essential mainstay into the repertoire. Thanks to YMA for the Smart info: are his Responses published and available?

Comment

• Simon

I understand that Southwell do a boys only and a mens only as part of the normal schedule, though I haven't heard either this year, having only caught the full choir when I've dropped in.

Comment

• Magnificat

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          I remember it well. I wonder how many cathedrals do a top-line only (or for that matter men's voices only) evensong these days? And why not brcadcast one? There's some lovely repertoire (too much to list, but) eg It is a thing most wonderful/Ireland or Mag and Nunc in D/ William Harris also from that Bramdean broadcast.
          ardcarp

Modays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at St Albans are sung by the boys on their own.

I agree with everything you say. I've heard some absolutely lovely services there especially when there are half a dozen or so boys who really know what they are doing.

I see they were singing Jeremiah Clarke's Evening Hymn tonight and I can hear past soloists doing all the embellishments on the last verse now - absolutely beautiful.

VCC

Comment

• Y Mab Afradlon
            • Nov 2010

[/QUOTE]Thanks to YMA for the Smart info: are his Responses published and available?[/QUOTE]

Have you looked in your inbox?

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

This is a diufficult one! Too difficult for me to seperate.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Y Mab Afradlon
                • Nov 2010

Does anyone rate the Bernard Naylor ones written for St Paul's London?

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks to YMA for the Smart info: are his Responses published and available?[/QUOTE]

Have you looked in your inbox?[/QUOTE]

I have indeed and have duly contacted you - thanks again for the heads-up on JS

Comment

• orson
                    • Jul 2011

Piccolo are quite wonderful. Shepherd are quite good. I also agree about the Lloyd. Michael Nicholas did a set which are fun. There's also a set (very early) by Philip Stopford which are pure Gorgonzola.

Comment

• Tim

Radcliffe? Simple but effective

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                        • Nov 2010

Quite agree - in my top 3 prob.

Comment

• Tim

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
                          Quite agree - in my top 3 prob.
                          Quite liked the Martin set sung at Westminster Abbey the other day. Tried to find if they are published but can't see them anywhere. Any ideas?

Comment

• moeranbiogman

Alan Ridout? I sang these once in Norwich..rarely done, but worth much more attention.

Comment

• gainasbass

Tim, re the Matthew Martin responses. In particular see posts 31 and 40 in the recent Westminster Abbey CE thread.

Comment

• bach736
                                • Nov 2010

The other day in Sidney Sussex, I noticed that the newly bound sets of Chapel responses include those by Gabriel Jackson.
                                So congratulations, GJ, you're in the top17!

Comment

Working...
                                X