X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Finzi4ever
    • Nov 2010

What's your favourite set of 20th C. Responses

Following in the worst tradition of Channel 4 Top 10 anythings and this board's recent questions on Te Deums and cassock colours, I ask you to name your top sets of responses but only from the last century. The Tudorbethan ones are a given.

Despite their ubiquity, Rose & Leighton have to be there, to which I would want to add Radcliffe, and a wonderfully cheesey set by Jason(?) Smart who I believe had some Bristol connections - anyone help me out here on anything else he's written or where I can get a score now of his set?
  • decantor
    • Dec 2010

I would have thought Clucas was also firmly established in the repertoire now, alongside BR and KL. There's also a nice set by Philip Moore. But a favourite? Nothing clear-cut, I'm sorry/glad to say.

Comment

• Y Mab Afradlon
      • Nov 2010

Jason Smart wrote the setting while he was organ scholar at Windsor. They were broadcast a few times from there during Christopher Robinson's time. Here's a link to where he is at the moment http://www.paigntonparishchurch.co.uk/the-people/

Comment

• Y Mab Afradlon
        • Nov 2010

The Howells setting are supreme - as long as you have a Priest that can sing the intonations and a choir that can sustain the intensity of the music.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Leighton

Comment

• Chris Watson
            • Jun 2011

If I may be controversial (!), I think that the Howells are wonderful music but inappropriately long and complicated as responses. Clucas Leighton and (my favourite) Rose get the balance between musical invention and liturgical appropriateness just right, I think. Anthony Piccolo wrote a lovely set for Allan Wicks at Canterbury (although they do stray a little towards the Howells problem), and Richard Lloyd's second set (for Durham) are beautiful. But having sung them yesterday, I was reminded that Smith take some beating!

Comment

• mopsus
              • Nov 2010

Another vote for the Lloyd second set. If I had composed that third Amen I could die happy.

Comment

• Y Mab Afradlon
                • Nov 2010

Any votes for the Spicer set published by Basil Ramsey? or Richard Shepherd...... or Michael Walsh?

Comment

• Colonel Danby
                  • Nov 2010

I agree with Howells as among my favourite, but didn't Brian Kelly produce a setting himself? His work for Anglican worship is glorious...as a student at Durham University I spent many happy times at the Cathedral at Evensong and Matins, and I'm sure that Kelly was often performed there.

Comment

• Wolsey
                    • Nov 2010

Shephard, and I agree with Chris Watson about Howells.

Comment

• Simon

Rose and Clucas get my vote.

Comment

• Magnificat

Harold Darke for boys' voices are lovely but rarely heard these days. Simon Preston used to do them at WA and they were heard on CE sung in that beautiful broadcast from Bramdean school years ago.

VCC

Comment

• Bullock in D

Definitely Tunnard's responses which he wrote for Birmingham Cathedral.....and what about the Sumsion ones written for Durham Cathedral....?

Comment

• The cloak of anonymity

Rutter for ATB. Makes a change from the Tallis responses that are usually rolled out....

Comment

• AscribeUntoTheLad

Originally posted by The cloak of anonymity View Post
                              Rutter for ATB. Makes a change from the Tallis responses that are usually rolled out....
                              Speak for yourself. I haven't sung the Tallis responses for ages.

Comment

Working...
                              X