• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Soul Music

Heads up for a little programme on R4 at 1.30pm today, talking about the Hymn 'Dear Lord and Father of Mankind', incidentally my favourite Hymn.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    Heads up for a little programme on R4 at 1.30pm today, talking about the Hymn 'Dear Lord and Father of Mankind', incidentally my favourite Hymn.
    And there I was, wondering what you might have to say about Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin and Marvin Gaye, saly!

I chose that hymn for my father's funeral. Being severely disabled, Dad hadn't made it to church for more than 10 years, and during his final months he had asked me to get the vicar to come around and administer short weekly services. When we drew up the selection for the funeral, this same vicar was astonished at my choice, asking, "Why would you, an atheist, choose this particular hymn?" It didn't seem to satisfy him when I explained that it had always been one of Dad's favourites. He couldn't figure out either what I meant by the term "spiritual" in choosing Vaughan Williams's "Serenade to Music" and "The Lark Ascending".

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Yes the programme was worth listening to S_A. I don't go to Church either but that tune by Parry and the words are for all denominations or none in my view.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

This morning's Radio 4 programme on Schubert D. 960 is well worth catching via 'Sounds'.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Look forward to it - just listened to the late DG Horowitz recording of D960 - absolutely magical playing.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            This morning's Radio 4 programme on Schubert D. 960 is well worth catching via 'Sounds'.
            That would be the vocal arrangement?

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              That would be the vocal arrangement?
              As in the programme mainly of the spoken word, yes.

Comment

Working...
              X