Host
    • Mar 2007

CE: Chapel of Pembroke College, Cambridge [R] 1.ii.23

CE: Chapel of Pembroke College, Cambridge 1.ii.23

The 300th anniversary of the death of Sir Christopher Wren

Order of Service:

Introit: O nata lux (Lucy Walker) – first broadcast
    Responses: Kerensa Briggs
    Office hymn: The Church’s one foundation (Aurelia)
    Psalm 118 (Ives, Goss)
    First Lesson: 1 Samuel 1: 19b-28
    Magnificat Primi toni a 8 (Palestrina)
    Second Lesson: Hebrews 4: 11-16
    Nunc dimittis (Paweł Łukaszewski)
    Anthem: Seek him that maketh the seven stars (Jonathan Dove)
    Hymn: Glorious things of thee are spoken (Abbots Leigh)

Voluntary: Archangels (St Michael) (Frederick Stocken)

Anna Lapwood (Director of Music)
    Joe Beadle, Andreana Chan (Organ Scholars)

Recorded 19 January
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Anna is a first-rate DoM, so I've no complaints. But I just wonder what percentage of pre-recorded Oxbridge College CEs we're having at the moment? Is the BBC running out of cathedrals?

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Anna is a first-rate DoM, so I've no complaints. But I just wonder what percentage of pre-recorded Oxbridge College CEs we're having at the moment? Is the BBC running out of cathedrals?
      And another recording. Another to miss!

Comment

• MS0
        • Jan 2023

The objection to recordings as opposed to live broadcasting is understandable. After all, the appeal of CE lies in 'eavesdropping' on an act of worship without having to travel, and there are other ideals such as the preservation of our cultural and religious traditions by showcasing them as they happen.

However, we might perhaps bear in mind that the BBC has been forced to slash millions off its costs in the last couple of years. When faced with the prospect of cutting one's budget, one's first thoughts will inevitably about where and how to make savings while not eliminating too many things altogether. We don't know and can only speculate, but it is worth noting that a live broadcast requires copious equipment to be transported by substantial vehicles from one venue to another, and sufficient personnel to set up and operate the equipment, whereas a recorded broadcast can be done with less equipment and as few as two people (producer and engineer). It will be obvious which of those scenarios costs less.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Ah...those big BBC vans parked outside! I think that, leaving the BBC aside, more choral establishments are live-streaming some services. This may have been started off by the Covid/lockdown thing. They probably don't have the high standard of sound engineering which the BBC (usually) has. But if one is eavesdropping on a live service, maybe that's not so important. And the mikes and other gubbins are presumably left in place all the time.

Comment

• jonfan
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by S H Otley View Post
            And another recording. Another to miss!
            Sad you take this view as you miss many excellent broadcasts. The important point surely is that the recorded services are new and not from the archives.
            If ‘live’ or ‘recorded’ was not flagged would you know?

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I think this topic has been aired many times in he past. It's very difficult to explain, but to KNOW a service is actually taking place as you listen is somehow more meaningful.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                I think this topic has been aired many times in he past. It's very difficult to explain, but to KNOW a service is actually taking place as you listen is somehow more meaningful.
                Precisely!

Comment

• mopsus
                  • Nov 2010

I think the Beeb used to recognise this was the case with services, to the extent that it would on occasion broadcast a recorded service in the Sunday morning slot on Radio 4, but give the impression that it was live, without actually saying so. (This happened some years back when I sang in such a service in Berkeley Castle chapel with the Exultate Singers. I don't know whether they still do it.)

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by S H Otley View Post
                    Precisely!

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Reminder: today at 4 p.m.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                        • Dec 2022

Listening now...
                        Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• Alison
                          • Nov 2010

Pleasantly surprised Anna didn’t go for an all female composer affair or some such.

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

More Oxbridge next week (L)

Comment

• jonfan
                              • Dec 2010

Surprising the published theme was stated as the Wren anniversary when quite rightly it was on Candlemas. Anna L claims some firsts for this CE broadcast: first from Pembroke College, first with both a female DOM and a female organ scholar, first with unconducted psalms and first where the organ went 1/4 tone flat the morning of the service! The organ sounded quite unhappy tuning wise to my ears most of the time but glittered very beautifully in the Dove anthem - this was the pinnacle piece of the whole service, very beautifully sung and played, caught in a warm, clear responsive acoustic. The music was very persuasive and attractive, delivered in a strongly communicative style.
                              Very enjoyable service, looking forward to next time already.

Comment

Working...
                              X