• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

New College Oxford...in secular mode

My admiration for NCO's choir under Edward Higginbottom is probably known by many Choir adherents. However I very recently came across a secular CD, Early One Morning, consisting entirely of folk song arrangements. Some are by RVW, Gordon Jacob, Percy Grainger, Bairstow and EH himself. While there is a train of thought that folk-songs should be kept simple and not messed about with, anyone who hears this CD will be astonished at the high standard of singing, including its amazing phrasing, breath-control and sheer beauty of sound.

(Many secondhand copies online.)

I only played this disc for the first time yesterday and am blown away by it. It's interesting to ponder how a college chapel choir found the time to hone this non-liturgical repertoire to such a high standard.
  • cat
    • May 2019

I have that disc, highly recommended - there are many gems in their back catalogue.

Interestingly when asked about secular repertoire, George Guest once said in an interview that his choristers wouldn't sing it at all, as folk songs are often love songs he found the idea "grotesque" and thought the singers would inevitably sound insincere.

It takes all sorts I guess!

Comment

• Caussade
      • May 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      My admiration for NCO's choir under Edward Higginbottom is probably known by many Choir adherents. However I very recently came across a secular CD, Early One Morning, consisting entirely of folk song arrangements. Some are by RVW, Gordon Jacob, Percy Grainger, Bairstow and EH himself. While there is a train of thought that folk-songs should be kept simple and not messed about with, anyone who hears this CD will be astonished at the high standard of singing, including its amazing phrasing, breath-control and sheer beauty of sound.

(Many secondhand copies online.)

I only played this disc for the first time yesterday and am blown away by it. It's interesting to ponder how a college chapel choir found the time to hone this non-liturgical repertoire to such a high standard.
      'Many second -hand copies online' tempers the enthusiasm quite a bit....

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

It doesn't for me if they're cheap!

Comment

• inquires
          • Feb 2011

'Early One Morning'

Originally posted by Caussade View Post
          'Many second -hand copies online' tempers the enthusiasm quite a bit....
          It shouldn't - its a particularly fine CD.

Comment

Working...
          X