X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Blimey! So NO current up and coming is thought 'able' to man St J's?

Darlington ..and......erm the John's sound? Interesting 'meeting' of ideologies perhaps?

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

It sounds as if they have someone in mind who can't start until the 2023 Summer Term (or whatever they call it at St John's.)

Comment

• Subtuum
        • Oct 2021

Originally posted by DracoM View Post

Darlington ..and......erm the John's sound? Interesting 'meeting' of ideologies perhaps?
        The shortlist is full of very able musicians. I’m sure it’s just about a start date for someone.

Comment

• cat
          • May 2019

They indicated in the job advert for the permanent position that they would likely appoint an interim director until the successful applicant was able to start.

King's appointed Christopher Robinson as interim director for a term before Daniel Hyde, so a (semi)retired senior safe pair of hands seems to be favoured for this sort of role.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Good thinking. Hope 'all will be well, and all......etc etc..'

Comment

• Magister Chori
              • Nov 2020

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              It sounds as if they have someone in mind who can't start until the 2023 Summer Term (or whatever they call it at St John's.)
              Originally posted by Subtuum View Post
              The shortlist is full of very able musicians. I’m sure it’s just about a start date for someone.
              Interviews for shortlisted candidates are planned for 8 and 9 November, so I just cannot understand the need for such an appointment right now, long before the actual choice being made?

Comment

• cat
                • May 2019

Originally posted by Magister Chori View Post
                Interviews for shortlisted candidates are planned for 8 and 9 November, so I just cannot understand the need for such an appointment right now, long before the actual choice being made?
                The successful candidate will likely have to give at the very least three months notice in their current job, meaning a start in the new year would not be possible. It makes perfect sense to cover Lent term now so that there is no uncertainty over who will be running things after Christmas and for how long.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

I seem to remember something about Robert Quinney holding the DoM post at Peterborough for a very short time indeed before being snapped up by NCO. The latter's choir doesn't seem to have the popular profile it had in Higginbottom's day. (They used to be one of my fave choirs.)

Comment

• Caussade
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post

It’s for one term, maybe two. SMD is a vastly experienced and pragmatic musician, and a fine choir trainer, who won’t set about making any structural changes - he will just keep the shop open to the best of his very considerable ability. In fact, interim directors often bring fresh perspectives to a choir which change them for the better, without that being the express intention.

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

I remember an interview with Stephen Darlington (can't remember where or when) in which he expressed his firm view that choristers should always enjoy singing; i.e. it shouldn't become a drudge. Ideal view IMHO, especially for a 'caretaker'.

Comment

Working...
                      X