Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Chapel of Jesus College, Cambridge [R] Wed, 13th July 2022

CE Chapel of Jesus College, Cambridge [R] Wed, 13th July 2022
    Recorded 22 March 2022

Order of Service:

Prelude: Toccata, Chorale and Fugue (Chorale) (Jackson)
    Introit: I will hearken (Philip Moore)
    Responses: Radcliffe
    Psalms 69, 70 (Stainer, Mann, Barnby, Goss)
    First Lesson: Isaiah 24: 1-15
    Canticles: Sumsion in G
    Second Lesson: Romans 15: 14-21
    Anthem: The Spirit of the Lord (Elgar)
    Hymn: Angel voices ever singing (Angel Voices)

Voluntary: Toccata, Chorale and Fugue (Fugue) (Jackson)

Christopher Too (Organ Scholar)
    Richard Pinel (Director of Music)

• ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Recorded 22 March 2022
    The gaps between recording and broadcast seem to get wider. I suppose it makes no difference really. Much prefer LIVE though.

The beginning of the Summer Vac is the time when many college choirs go on tours...mind you the Full Easter Term ended mid-June (I think) so the tours will probably be over too.
    Last edited by ardcarp; 09-07-22, 20:37.

Comment

• Keraulophone
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      the tours will probably be over too.
      Not yet.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Reminder: today at usual time.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

The choirs:

The Choir of Jesus College Cambridge has gained an international reputation for its music-making, based on performances around the globe, broadcasts, highly pra

The organs:

The musical life of our Chapel is enriched by several fine instruments, including three organs.The Sutton OrganThe oldest organ, located closest to the altar, d

Maybe some kind and clever person can post up technical details of the organs under The Organ heading. From my visits to Jesus in the past, I recall that one organ case has lovely decorated 'wings'.
          Last edited by ardcarp; 13-07-22, 17:44.

Comment

• Keraulophone
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            Maybe some kind and clever person can post up technical details of the organs under The Organ heading. From my visits to Jesus in the past, I recall that one organ case has lovely decorated 'wings'.
            You posted a photo of the cases in #82 of the CE Organs thread!

This is the 2007 IIP/33 Orgelbau Kuhn gifted to Jesus College by one James Hudleston that replaced the 1971 IIIP/27 Mander, which was given a new mechanical action and relocated by Wood of Huddersfield to the chapel of Truro School and now sounding better than ever (according to Thomas Trotter, who gave the opening recital):

...and, from jonfan's post, an overview of all three college organs:
            The musical life of our Chapel is enriched by several fine instruments, including three organs.The Sutton OrganThe oldest organ, located closest to the altar, d

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Thanks for reminding me, K. God knows how I found it then! I'm glad the Mander organ got translated by Wood to your vicinity.

Comment

• jonfan
                • Dec 2010

Some very beautiful sounds from the organ in this broadcast, particularly the Jackson Chorale which acted as a worship setter with a seamless segue into the Moore introit; plenty of Celeste and string-sounding registrations accompanying lovely solo stops. I enjoyed hearing the boys/female top line given separate strands to do as well as tuttis, giving distinctive colours. (Interestingly in the tuttis it was the boys that dominated.) The Canticles and Anthem were given lots of detailed touches. A very rewarding listen with everything clearly heard. My only caveat being slightly too much verbal scene setting.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Verbal scene-setting is becoming a menace. Yes boys’ natural upward crescendos distinct from the females’. Maybe downward phrases (eg Barry Rose’s famous falling semitones perhaps not so well ‘centred’. A very enjoyable CE.

Comment

• Triforium
                    • Nov 2010

Ben Sheen is the new DOM per today's announcement - https://www.jesus.cam.ac.uk/articles...usic-appointed

Comment

Working...
                    X