X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Koenraad
    • Jul 2022

Looking for an engraving

In his book about saint Robert Bellarmin, the Canadian musicologist Alfred Bernier says this :
    Une gravure anglaise représente, en un triptyque vécu, trois aspects d’enfants de maîtrise. Un premier dessin, ce qu’il semblent être : des enfants charmants; un deuxième, ce qu’ils sont : des lutins déchaînés; un troisième, comment ils chantent : comme des anges du Paradis !
    Translation :
    An English engraving represents, in a lived triptych, three aspects of choirboys. A first drawing, what they seem to be: charming children; a second, what they are: raging goblins; a third, how they sing: like angels of Paradise!
    (Un Cardinal Humaniste Saint Robert Bellarmin et La Musique Liturgique. Alfred Bernier. Desclée De Brouwer, 1939, p. 56).

Can anyone tell me what engraving he is talking about?
    Thank you in advance.
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Koenraad View Post
    In his book about saint Robert Bellarmin, the Canadian musicologist Alfred Bernier says this :
    Une gravure anglaise représente, en un triptyque vécu, trois aspects d’enfants de maîtrise. Un premier dessin, ce qu’il semblent être : des enfants charmants; un deuxième, ce qu’ils sont : des lutins déchaînés; un troisième, comment ils chantent : comme des anges du Paradis !
    Translation :
    An English engraving represents, in a lived triptych, three aspects of choirboys. A first drawing, what they seem to be: charming children; a second, what they are: raging goblins; a third, how they sing: like angels of Paradise!
    (Un Cardinal Humaniste Saint Robert Bellarmin et La Musique Liturgique. Alfred Bernier. Desclée De Brouwer, 1939, p. 56).

Can anyone tell me what engraving he is talking about?
    Thank you in advance.
    I can't help with the engraving, but what does footnote/reference 1 refer to? (after "Une gravure anglaise" and courtesy of Google Books)

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Does "gravure anglaise" refer to a method or style of engraving rather than meaning a specific english engraving ?

Comment

• cat
        • May 2019

I guess this is a print, a drawing for a paper publication engraved on a metal plate for printing. Perhaps something like a Punch magazine cartoon.

Comment

• cat
          • May 2019

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
          I can't help with the engraving, but what does footnote/reference 1 refer to? (after "Une gravure anglaise" and courtesy of Google Books)
          Footnote is: "Choir Boys: As they look; As they act; As they sound. (The sketch)." (from here)

According to Wikipedia The Sketch was a British illustrated weekly journal published between 1 February 1893 and 17 June 1959.

Only 2,989 issues to search through!

Comment

• cat
            • May 2019

Found it. Republished in Labor Digest in 1914

Comment

• AuntDaisy
              Host
              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by cat View Post
              Found it. Republished in Labor Digest in 1914
              Brilliant - well done Cat. That's an impressive piece of detective work!

Found the original reference... "The Sketch", page 56, 15 April 1914. "AS THEY LOOK. AS THEY ACT. AS THEY SOUND. CHOIR BOYS."

Last edited by AuntDaisy; 03-07-22, 09:52. Reason: Added ref & image

Comment

• Koenraad
                • Jul 2022

Thanks to everyone who answered my question. My wishes are fulfilled. You are angels!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Koenraad View Post
                  Thanks to everyone who answered my question. My wishes are fulfilled. You are angels!
                  And thank you to you for posing such an interesting question!
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                  X