• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Sunday Worship from St John's - Radio 4

A celebration in music and word of the life and works of the priest and poet George Herbert, from the Chapel of St John's College, Cambridge. Herbert is one of the most celebrated of the Seventeenth-Century metaphysical poets. He studied and worked in Cambridge, before going on to be ordained and continuing to write poetry to 'God's glory'. The service is led by the Dean of Chapel at St John's, the Reverend Dr Mark Oakley, who looks at Herbert's works in the context of the Easter season. The poems are read by members of the College, and the Chapel choir leads the congregation in a selection of works with Herbert's texts, including the hymns 'King of glory, King of peace', and 'Teach me, My God and King'.

A celebration of the life and works of the priest and poet George Herbert.

Presumably this was recorded at the same time as CE, though I can't find that out via the website.
    Singing excellent of course, especially the hymnody. George Herbert (poet) was being celebrated so, inter alia, we had Love Bade me Welcome and Let all the World from VW's Mystical Songs. I could not help thinking back to the old King's LP. Those who don't like John's habit of fp< may prefer it!

One cannot help but wonder at the co-incidence of names. The current Herbert Howells organ scholar at John's is....George Herbert.
    Last edited by ardcarp; 08-05-22, 16:13.
  • Magister Chori
    • Nov 2020

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    Singing excellent of course, especially the hymnody. George Herbert (poet) was being celebrated so, inter alia, we had Love Bade me Welcome and Let all the World from VW's Mystical Songs. I could not help thinking back to the old King's LP. Those who don't like John's habit of fp< may prefer it!
    I recall vividly a more recent breathtaking performance - also from King's - of RVW's "Rise heart, thy Lord is risen", with a truly superb soloist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp3UtkkbQak

Comment

• Keraulophone
      • Nov 2010

Those who don't like John's habit of fp< may prefer it!
      Yes, a couple of the dreaded ‘buttons’ were pressed (on ‘sing’), but what remained in the memory was the superb baritone soloist in ‘Rise heart’. This was Tom Butler, winner of the Clare College Song Competition and Figaro in TCMS’s production last year. (There’s more of him on YT.)

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Thanks for the info about Tom Butler. Yes he sang it beautifully. Is he a choral scholar at John's or just drafted in for the occasion? I think they also have a couple or three of lay-clerks at John's.

Comment

• Keraulophone
          • Nov 2010

Is he a choral scholar at John's
          Yes I think so, reading music.

Comment

Working...
          X