• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

A Vision of Aeroplanes

What a wonderful piece...one would hardly guess RVW as the composer. I have a strong urge to organise a performance of it sometime...somewhere...somehow.

Choir of Clare College, Cambridge. Singer: Raphaela Papadakis. Conductor: Timothy Brown.

It was on Essential Classics this morning, about 39 mins from start.

Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want
    Last edited by ardcarp; 04-03-22, 15:35.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

I might have cited Rawsthorne as being the composer, even though one might not expect him to set words from Revelation! Both he and RVW used that diminished scale of alternating semitones and minor thirds so many composers today use as a compositional basis, with Vaughan Williams resorting to it more and more in later years (viz Hodie and the Ninth Symphony).

Here's the nicely resonant version I just found on youtube:

Performed by the Finzi Singers, director Paul Spicer, organist Harry Bicket, in the church of Saint Alban the Martyr, Holborn, London, on 26th & 27th Septemb...

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Isn't the diminished scale either (semitone, tone)+ or (tone, semitone)+?

Together a tone and a semitone span a minor third so there are 4 such groups in an octave - starting either on a semitone or a tone.

Note: (semitone, tone)* or (tone,semitone)* which I wrote at first would allow a null scale with no notes at all
      The + meta symbol specifies one or more non-empty groups.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Isn't the diminished scale either (semitone, tone)+ or (tone, semitone)+?

Together a tone and a semitone span a minor third so there are 4 such groups in an octave - starting either on a semitone or a tone.

Note: (semitone, tone)* or (tone,semitone)* which I wrote at first would allow a null scale with no notes at all
        The + meta symbol specifies one or more non-empty groups.
        Yes - thanks Dave and apologies ! - it was the Hexatonic, not Octatonic scale that I was thinking of - the former being predominant in the Vaughan Williams work here.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

No probs. I didn't hear the VW work nor did I know of it, so I don't know which type of scale it was built on.

Hexatonic scales (surprise, surprise!) have 6 notes per scale - as discussed here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexatonic_scale

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            No probs. I didn't hear the VW work nor did I know of it, so I don't know which type of scale it was built on.

Hexatonic scales (surprise, surprise!) have 6 notes per scale - as discussed here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexatonic_scale
            See the link I provided in #2 - the work lasts around 10 minutes.

Comment

• jonfan
              • Dec 2010

What a composer, refused to be pigeonholed. Another unusual one that I’ve not heard recently is Flos Campi for viola and wordless chorus.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

It's been niggling me that I knew I'd heard this not so long ago on R3, and was surprised by it, to say the least. I've finally tracked it down https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b8j6 (not available it says)

And yes, Flos Campi (or Flo's scampi as Harry Danks had it) has not been aired for a long time.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                  • Jan 2019

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                  What a composer, refused to be pigeonholed. Another unusual one that I’ve not heard recently is Flos Campi for viola and wordless chorus.
                  The best ( for me )
                  “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Edgy 2
                    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    It's been niggling me that I knew I'd heard this not so long ago on R3, and was surprised by it, to say the least. I've finally tracked it down https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b8j6 (not available it says)

And yes, Flos Campi (or Flo's scampi as Harry Danks had it) has not been aired for a long time.
                    Camp Flossie as RVW himself jokingly had it
                    “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
                      Camp Flossie as RVW himself jokingly had it

Didn't know that! Poor Flossie!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X