• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Allegri

Mrs A and I were suddenly missing the prospect of the Miserere today, so dug out the old Kings version (Evensong for Ash Wefnesday) on CD from our big Argo box set.

It was breathtakingly beautiful, even allowing for the nostalgia which was probably lurking within. Yes, we all know that the Ivor Atkins English version is terribly inauthentic and the abbellimenti are faux, but it has been adopted as one of our traditions (in English or Latin, and with whatever plainsong tune). I'm looking forward to Lincoln Evensong shortly, but glad we've had our Allegri fix. I wonder how many choirs are performing it in this approach to Lent? (One of my daughters is booked for her top Cs at a service this evening.) Going back to our old Kings/Willcocks box, it is a false memory to think that that choir was gentle and a bit hooty. Not a bit of it. They could give it some wellie when needed...but you have to allow for posh vowel sounds of the 1960s, e.g. 'Heve mercy upon me'.
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Got West Cath on CD doing Allegri. Sumptuous.

Comment

• Lordgeous
      • Dec 2012

Do they sing the version without the high C as I believe George Malcolm used to - the 'authentic' version?

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Indeed.

Comment

• Lordgeous
          • Dec 2012

Here's a fascinating story of how the work 'evolved'. Apparently the high C was a mistake in Grove's Dictionary entry!

These videos are free to view but your donations are essential. We rely on the generosity of our audience to make these performances possible. Together we ca...

Comment

• jonfan
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            Mrs A and I were suddenly missing the prospect of the Miserere today, so dug out the old Kings version (Evensong for Ash Wefnesday) on CD from our big Argo box set.

It was breathtakingly beautiful, even allowing for the nostalgia which was probably lurking within. Yes, we all know that the Ivor Atkins English version is terribly inauthentic and the abbellimenti are faux, but it has been adopted as one of our traditions (in English or Latin, and with whatever plainsong tune). I'm looking forward to Lincoln Evensong shortly, but glad we've had our Allegri fix. I wonder how many choirs are performing it in this approach to Lent? (One of my daughters is booked for her top Cs at a service this evening.) Going back to our old Kings/Willcocks box, it is a false memory to think that that choir was gentle and a bit hooty. Not a bit of it. They could give it some wellie when needed...but you have to allow for posh vowel sounds of the 1960s, e.g. 'Heve mercy upon me'.
            Yes I too got out the King's version, the whole Evensong on Eloquence which includes an article by Roy Goodman and some of his personal photos. Agree with all you say Mr A. After a few minutes one gets used to the 'precious' feel but what comes over is the importance of communicaton that this is an act of worship done to the highest standards pertaining in 1963; you can't ask for more.
            Some poor proof reading in the notes, confusion over who wrote the psalm chants and Dr Alec Vidler is now Alan!

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Hannah French went for Tenebrae and Nigel Short this morning.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                Hannah French went for Tenebrae and Nigel Short this morning.
                I remain very fond of the Tallis Scholars recording that was on CFP in the 1980s.

Comment

• jonfan
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  I remain very fond of the Tallis Scholars recording that was on CFP in the 1980s.
                  I think this was a BAL choice at the time? Alison Stamp assailing the Cs. A great disc.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                    • Nov 2010

At Truro this evening - Eucharist & Imposition of Ashes:
                    Byrd, Mass à 4; Miserere, Allegri ed. Guest (after Atkins)*; Tallis, Salvator Mundi.

*Occasionally in the past, the high treble has sailed up from top C to E flat (!) for his final iteration, though sadly not today.

Comment

• cat
                      • May 2019

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                      At Truro this evening - Eucharist & Imposition of Ashes:
                      Byrd, Mass à 4; Miserere, Allegri ed. Guest (after Atkins)*; Tallis, Salvator Mundi.

*Occasionally in the past, the high treble has sailed up from top C to E flat (!) for his final iteration, though sadly not today.
                      Thanks for the heads up. I only have one Truro CD (the excellent Lobo one from 2016) and I soon as I started listing to this service on YouTube the sound was instantly recognizable as being the same choir as on that recording. It's a mystery to me how choral directors can get such distinctive and consistent sounds out of changing groups of singers!

Comment

• cat
                        • May 2019

Overall Temple Church was my favourite this year. I've not seen the two Allegri choirs have their own conductors before, but I gather some places do prefer to split them up spatially within the building rather than just within the quire.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• ardcarp
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

That's usually done, though not necessarily at great distance. There's one performance on Youtube (can't remember which) that even has the plainsong verses split off, sung by a soloist somewhere up in the triforium.

PS Just listened to The Temple. Choir in excellent form! (One of my rellies in the favoriti group.) Without wishing any disrespect to Lincoln, wouldn't it have been good to have that on Ash Wednesday's Choral Evensong?
                          Last edited by ardcarp; 04-03-22, 15:16.

Comment

Working...
                          X