• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

BBC Singers live from Keble

The BBC Singers and Chief Conductor Sofi Jeannin perform live at Keble College, Oxford.

As part of The Keble Early Music Festival, the Chief Conductor of the BBC Singers Sofi Jeannin directs an intriguing programme pairing contemporary choral music and the Renaissance music on which they are based.

Tallis: Loquebantur variis linguis
    Ken Burton: Many are the wonders
    Sheppard: In Manus Tuas 3
    Josephine Stephenson: Into thy hands
    Victoria: O vos omnes
    Reena Esmail: When the violin
    Sweelink: Je sens en moy une flamme nouvelle
    Nico Muhly: A New Flame
    Sheppard: Lord’s Prayer
    Owain Park: The Lord’s Prayer
    Byrd: Ave verum corpus
    Roderick Williams: Ave verum corpus Re-imagined
    Janequin: Le chant des oiseaux
    Bernard Hughes: Birdchant

BBC Singers

with

Liam Byrne (viola da gamba)
    Tom Rogerson (synthesisers)
    Stuart King (bass clarinet)
    Delia Stevens (percussion)

The early music items are 're-imagined' in a 21st century item which follows each one. Of the latter, the final Birdchant by Bernard Hughes was (to me) the most entertaining. But wasn't the preceding Jannequin truncated, and with a clarinet? As for the BBCS they sounded pretty good, with the possible exception of a somewhat prominent tenor voice which was a little too 'edgy' to blend with the rest on occasions. Once you'd noticed it, it became a tad wearying. [Sorry if that's a bit harsh, but they are professionals!]
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

I did wonder if the "edginess" was intentional. I didn't have the programme to hand, so listening blind, and at first assumed that it was a bit of rustic style "here be old music" for some of the pieces. The instrumental interjections I could have done without as rather a lot of it was sounds that set my teeth on edge.
    It was good to hear the BBCS not sounding like I expected; this is the third concert I've heard in recent weeks when that has been the case. I hope it continues, as personally I find it tiresome to look at a concert broadcast and wonder if I'll be able to enjoy it or whether the strident top line will be too much.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

The second piece (by Ken Burton) had a solo (tenor or baritone) which was deliberately sung in a folk or 'stage' voice. I wasn't referring to that above. bu one of the ensemble tenors in the rest of the programme.

Comment

• Subtuum
        • Oct 2021

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        The second piece (by Ken Burton) had a solo (tenor or baritone) which was deliberately sung in a folk or 'stage' voice. I wasn't referring to that above. bu one of the ensemble tenors in the rest of the programme.
        What’s a “stage” voice?

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Shorthand for someone singing light music (i.e. in a Musical) i.e. not like an opera singer.

Comment

Working...
          X