Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Winchester Cathedral [R] Wed, Feb 9th 2022

CE Winchester Cathedral [R]

Recorded 5 October 2021

Order of Service:

Introit: In God’s word (Purcell)
    Responses: Robert Sharpe
    Office hymn: Before the ending of the day (plainsong)
    Psalm 47 (Andrew Hayman)
    First Lesson: 1 Samuel 1: 9b-28
    Canticles: Magdalen Service (Grayston Ives)
    Second Lesson: Luke 2: 41-52
    Anthem: Lord, thou hast been our refuge (Walker)
    Prayer Anthem: In pace (Grayston Ives)

Voluntary: Benedictus (William Lloyd Webber)

Claudia Grinnell (Sub-Organist)
    Andrew Lumsden (Director of Music)

Purcell, Grayston Ives, Walker and William Lloyd Webber from Winchester Cathedral.
  • Keraulophone
    • Nov 2010

A chance for the lower three parts to shine, particularly in the glowing anthem by Ernest Walker.

We sang the companion piece in Barry Rose's volume Sing Low, anthems for ATB voices, and I was moved to investigate further. Dr Walker published his Two Anthems for male voices and organ, Op. 16 in 1899: No.1 'I will lift up mine eyes' and No.2 'Lord, thou hast been our refuge' while assistant organist at Balliol College, Oxford. He was director of music at Balliol from 1901 to 1925. His Wiki entry is worth a look: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Walker_(composer)

Lord, thou hast been our refuge:

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I remember his book A History of Music in England lurking on the shelves of our music library at school. It looked exactly like this:

I also remember I had to write a sixth-form essay for A-level Music, and cribbed some of it verbatim from Ernest Walker...and getting gently but firmly told off for plagiarism. Given this comment by Jack Westrup...

A particular position must be assigned to Ernest Walker, the author of A History of Music in England (1907); stand-offish, wildly unjust and unforgiving, Walker's assertions are so sweeping and extravagant that it would be a waste of space to discuss them. To put it bluntly, he was an eccentric, continually inconsistent, and often irresponsible.

...my mild rebuke was probably wise!

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        I remember his book A History of Music in England lurking on the shelves of our music library at school. It looked exactly like this:

I also remember I had to write a sixth-form essay for A-level Music, and cribbed some of it verbatim from Ernest Walker...and getting gently but firmly told off for plagiarism. Given this comment by Jack Westrup...

A particular position must be assigned to Ernest Walker, the author of A History of Music in England (1907); stand-offish, wildly unjust and unforgiving, Walker's assertions are so sweeping and extravagant that it would be a waste of space to discuss them. To put it bluntly, he was an eccentric, continually inconsistent, and often irresponsible.

A totally useless piece of information.... I played for Jack Westrup's brother's memorial service! (Including some pieces written by Sir Jack)

Comment

• W.Kearns
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by S H Otley View Post
          A totally useless piece of information.... I played for Jack Westrup's brother's memorial service! (Including some pieces written by Sir Jack)
          Steady on, S.H.Otley! Some of us appreciate and enjoy reminiscence of this kind, not to mention allusion to a book which sounds as though it may hold considerable curiosity value. Thanks, ardcarp, for your post.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post

It wasn’t the one that filled up space by advocating Shakespeare as one of England’s greatest musicians was it ? It made much of the “music “ of Shakespeare’s verse - an approach to poetry that was firmly kicked out by Eliot , Empson and others. It was a bit of a patriotic defence against the Land ohne Musik charge …

Comment

• Simon Biazeck
              • Jul 2020

Originally posted by W.Kearns View Post
              Steady on, S.H.Otley! Some of us appreciate and enjoy reminiscence of this kind, not to mention allusion to a book which sounds as though it may hold considerable curiosity value. Thanks, ardcarp, for your post.
              Pretty sure he's referring to his own anecdote which follows after the ellipses ...

Comment

• Subtuum
                • Oct 2021

Originally posted by Simon Biazeck View Post
                Pretty sure he's referring to his own anecdote which follows after the ellipses ...
                Yes, for sure…

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

I didn't take HSO's post amiss at all. He was referring to his own 'Jack Westrup' connection.

Comment

Apologies if my earlier comment was misconstrued. The totally useless information was indeed my own anecdote. The technically inept use of the elipsis was probably to blame.

Comment

• W.Kearns
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by S H Otley View Post
                      Apologies if my earlier comment was misconstrued. The totally useless information was indeed my own anecdote. The technically inept use of the elipsis was probably to blame.
                      Ah, mea culpa! I should have realised. Great apologies for a rather brusque rejoinder.

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

...I use the ellipsis all the time....probably wrongly...

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Reminder: today @ 4 p.m.

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

What? No comments about the service? They surely have an excellent back row at Winchester! I heard them in the flesh (with the boys) only a couple of weeks ago and was mightily impressed. The Grayston Ives Canticles (nothing to scare the horses) sounded very good. It was also unusual for ATB alone to do a chant for the Psalm...rather than plainsong. Also very pleasing, especially ending the Gloria on an added sixth chord!

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Yes, the Ives canticles really impressed.

Comment

Working...
                              X