• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

COTW Victoria

Tomas Luis de Victoria is COTW w/beginning Monday, 22nd August @ noon / 6.30 p.m.
  • Simon

I think he's been on before Draco - but nonetheless we're in for some treats. Thanks!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

There's no indication on the schedule that this is a repeat: first broadcast 22 August 2011.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Simon

Indeed, ff - thank you - somebody has emailed me to tell me that what I was probably recalling was an early music programme a couple of years ago that featured The Earthquake and that a few of us enthused about.

So it's a first on CotW for Tomas - great stuff!

Comment

• mopsus
          • Nov 2010

No, he was COTW in July 2008. I don't normally listen to the programme but made the effort to do so in this case. It was rather hampered by the relative lack of personal documents relating to the composer, though we do know a lot about where and how he spent his life.
          See:

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Simon View Post
            So it's a first on CotW for Tomas - great stuff!
            Not a first for Victoria, but it's certainly being presented as a first for these broadcasts. Both seem to follow V's career chronologically but last time it was in the company of Jeremy Summerly. The playlists for the two Episode 2s are quite different. New material or a rehash of the previous programmes? Either way, there will be a lot of glorious music.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gainasbass

I understand that this year - 2011 - is the 400th Anniversary of his death.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gainasbass View Post
                I understand that this year - 2011 - is the 400th Anniversary of his death.
                Ah, yes, good ol' Wiki. He died on 27 August 1611. Probably unkind to call it a 'rehash' but no doubt building on the research that was done for the previous programmes!

Comment

• gainasbass

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Ah, yes, good ol' Wiki. He died on 27 August 1611. Probably unkind to call it a 'rehash' but no doubt building on the research that was done for the previous programmes!
                  Actually I was reminded of this anniversary when I was looking through the 2011-2012 UK Concert Season of The Sixteen. "The Choral Pilgramage 2011" has the theme "Hail, Mother of the Redeemer" featuring the works of Tomas Luis de Victoria (1548-1611). The Schedule is:

September 2011
                  3 Saturday All Saints' Church, Boughton Aluph
                  15 Thursday Wells Cathedral
                  16 Friday Collegiate and Parish Church of St Mary, Swansea
                  17 Saturday Tewkesbury Abbey
                  22 Thursday City Church, Milton Keynes
                  24 Saturday Chapel of Reconciliation, Houghton St Giles, Walsingham
                  28 Wednesday Ealing Abbey
                  29 Thursday Southwell Minster
                  30 Friday Peterborough Cathedral
                  October 2011
                  1 Saturday King's Place, London
                  9 Sunday St Michael's, Tetbury
                  14 Friday Durham Cathedral
                  15 Saturday Greyfriar's Kirk, Edinburgh
                  16 Sunday Great Hall, Leeds
                  28 Friday Guildford Cathedral
                  November 2011
                  4 Friday St Bartholomew's Church, Brighton
                  Details from - www.thesixteen.com

Comment

• Simon

Good of them to manage to stray into the north of the country for, er, three of these concerts!

Comment

• Simon

Not a first for Victoria, but it's certainly being presented as a first for these broadcasts. Both seem to follow V's career chronologically but last time it was in the company of Jeremy Summerly. The playlists for the two Episode 2s are quite different.
                      So, has he been on CotW before, as I thought initially, or was it, as per the email I received, as part of another programme that featured The Earthquake etc. and the era in general?
                      Last edited by Guest; 19-08-11, 20:53.

Comment

• gainasbass

Yes Simon, I thought the same!

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Please note that that the EVENING start times for COTW vary this week:

Mon 6.30
                          Tues 6.30
                          Wed 6.00
                          Thur 6.00
                          Frid 6.30

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by gainasbass View Post
                            Actually I was reminded of this anniversary when I was looking through the 2011-2012 UK Concert Season of The Sixteen.
                            I'm planning a double dose - Swansea 16 Sept, Kings Place 1 Oct.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              Please note that that the EVENING start times for COTW vary this week:

Mon 6.30
                              Tues 6.30
                              Wed 6.00
                              Thur 6.00
                              Frid 6.30
                              Thanks for noting that, Draco.

As there appears to be more interest here than on the CotW board, I'm copying over the details of the individual programmes with quick links, since all the playlists have now been posted on the R3 website:

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              In the week leading up to the 400th anniversary of the death of Tomás Luis de Victoria (1548-27 August 1611):

1/5. A Life in the Service of God: Donald Macleod focuses on the religious fervour of Victoria's life and music.
                              2/5. Childhood and Education: Victoria's early life in the city of Avila.
                              3/5. Finding Work: Victoria's search for work in Rome.
                              4/5. A Priest in Rome: Victoria finds work as a musician inseparable from being a priest.
                              5/5. Return to Spain: Why, at the height of his success, Victoria decided to return home.

Comment

Working...
                              X