• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

A Christmas Carol

Has anyone come across this? (Should it be in Pedants' Corner?)

This a cappella arrangement of "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" examines how commas can change meanings… often with unintended results.For more pedantic nonsen...
  • Vox Humana
    • Dec 2012

Oh my, God!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxfxy-3dGz0
      If you put it after God 'ye' would surely have to be the equivalent of þe, mispronounced as in the frequent 'ye' for 'the' (e.g. Ye Olde Whatever), wouldn't it? Or did I misunderstand that bit?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxfxy-3dGz0
        This brings back memories, from over 50 years ago, of my old choirmaster who was insistent on the comma going after merry with the line carrying on without pause after 'gentlemen'. There are a few other such examples in well known Christmas carols/hymns where he was insistent on following the punctuation correctly. To this day, I still sing them exactly as he taught us though you do need to take a very deep breath to get to the end of the line in the second verse of 'While Shepherds Watched'!*

* 'Fear not, said he for mighty dread had seized their troubled mind'. People usually take a breath after 'dread' but you need to take it after 'not' otherwise you'll run out of puff before the end.
        Last edited by Petrushka; 07-12-21, 22:11.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          with the line carrying on without pause after 'gentlemen'
          I don't think I would agree with him there. I would be inclined to put a semi colon, or even a colon, after 'gentlemen'.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Vox Humana
            • Dec 2012

I remember some correspondence in the Musical Times half a century or so ago, in which a choirmaster mentioned that he insisted on the correct placing of this comma in 'O come, all ye faithful': 'Come and behold him born, the King of Angels'. Not too many years afterwards, I inherited a decent church choir. Facing our first Christmas, my insistence on this punctuation caused a few frowns. Carols for Choirs, which we were using, doesn't have a comma in this line and they were used to breathing after 'him'. A tenor came to my rescue, suggesting that Natum videte Regem angelorum can be translated as "Come and see the King of angels, who is born". Hymn books are quite undecided about this. The original Hymns Ancient and Modern (1861–1922) and A&M New Standard have the comma after 'born'. Hymns Ancient and Modern Revised, the 1906 English Hymnal and Songs of Praise place it after 'him' and the New English Hymnal and Common Praise agree with Carols for Choirs in not having one at all. What other, more modern collections do I don't know. I wonder what Oakley originally wrote? I suspect it was what we got in the 1861 A&M.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Exaggerated punctuation in hymns is one of my bêtes noires. But it does remind me of this:

Victor Borge once determined that our spoken word lacked the clarity of written prose, and suggested this remedy to help us get our message across verbally.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                This brings back memories, from over 50 years ago, of my old choirmaster who was insistent on the comma going after merry with the line carrying on without pause after 'gentlemen'. There are a few other such examples in well known Christmas carols/hymns where he was insistent on following the punctuation correctly. To this day, I still sing them exactly as he taught us though you do need to take a very deep breath to get to the end of the line in the second verse of 'While Shepherds Watched'!*

* 'Fear not, said he for mighty dread had seized their troubled mind'. People usually take a breath after 'dread' but you need to take it after 'not' otherwise you'll run out of puff before the end.
                )

Are you talking ‘Winchester Old’? With While Sheps the tune used may partly dictate the punctuation particularly when phrases are repeated.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  )

Are you talking ‘Winchester Old’? With While Sheps the tune used may partly dictate the punctuation particularly when phrases are repeated.
                  Yes, it was 'Winchester Old'. Just going from memory (I was a choirboy) I think our choirmaster wanted the line to carry on into 'Glad tidings...' as well so you had to take a breath somewhere! Incidentally, he was an organ pupil of Francis Jackson and a personal friend of John Joubert.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                  X