Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Chichester to have boys and girls on an equal footing

I have re-posted Cat's message under a new thread:

As I predicted Chichester swiftly follows suit:

https://www.chichestercathedral.org....irl-choristers

“We are delighted now to offer the chorister experience to girls as well as boys. Having one team of choristers singing 7 services each week is a wonderful, immersive training for the children, and it plays to the high musical standards that we aspire to. Rather than running two choirs, we will continue with one, inviting girls and boys to work side-by-side on equal terms.”

I am sure Chichester have grappled with how they can introduce a separate girls top line for some time, but no need to worry about that now when they can simply follow the lead of St. John’s and reduce the number of boys.
  • Keraulophone
    • Nov 2010

Disappointing, but it is the cheaper option.

Comment

• Subtuum
      • Oct 2021

This is fantastic news. I was worried Chichester would never do it as it’s quite a trad. place, particularly with that awful ‘Campaign for the Defence of the Traditional Cathedral Choir‘ knocking around nearby.

Comment

• Resurgam
        Banned
        • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
        Disappointing, but it is the cheaper option.
        They could have done something even cheaper, more challenging but much more diverse, i.e. ditching the choir school and recruiting separate choirs of boys and girls from the local area from a mixture of schools. Some chance, too much like hard work for the music department.

Comment

• Caussade
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Resurgam View Post
          They could have done something even cheaper, more challenging but much more diverse, i.e. ditching the choir school and recruiting separate choirs of boys and girls from the local area from a mixture of schools. Some chance, too much like hard work for the music department.
          How do you know they didn't investigate that model already? These things are never as easy as they seem when you're taking anonymous potshots from your armchair.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Well, hang on a mo................you might be surprised to know how many on this forum have inside info!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              Well, hang on a mo................you might be surprised to know how many on this forum have inside info!
              I think that calls for a new emoji :tip of index finger tapping side of nose:if you know what I mean, say no more!,

Comment

Working...
              X