Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Her Majesty’s Chapel Royal, Hampton Court Palace Wed, Dec 1st [R]

Her Majesty’s Chapel Royal, Hampton Court Palace Wed, Dec 1st [R]
    Recorded 19 October 2021

Order of Service:

Introit: Veni, redemptor gentium (Andrew Smith)
    Responses: Tomkins
    Office hymn: Hark! a herald voice is calling (Merton)
    Psalms 6, 7, 8 (Purcell, Turner, Garrett, Soaper, Parratt)
    First Lesson: Isaiah 65 v.17 – 66 v.2
    Canticles: The Sixth Service (Weelkes)
    Second Lesson: Matthew 24 vv.1-14
    Anthem: Vigilate (Byrd)
    Hymn: Thou whose almighty word (Moscow)

Voluntary: A Fancy (Byrd)

Rufus Frowde (Organist)
    Carl Jackson (Director of Music)
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Reminder: today on R3.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Well.....erm............some decidedly roughish psalm delivery!
      After John's and New College, and a few others [eg St Albans] I've heard live recently], this was not among the better Ce's on R3.

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

Little or no sense of spiritual engagement, all a bit dutiful and matter of fact.

Comment

• cat
          • May 2019

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          Well.....erm............some decidedly roughish psalm delivery!
          After John's and New College, and a few others [eg St Albans] I've heard live recently], this was not among the better Ce's on R3.
          A bit unfair to compare them perhaps, as this choir normally only sing once a week, the choristers are from a variety of schools and have only just reconvened following a lengthy pandemic hiatus.

If you want to hear them at their best with similar repertoire I’d recommended their recent Tomkins CD, which contains what I think are the only recordings of his Fourth and Seventh services. That recording definitely shows them punching above their weight.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I agree with the above It was all a bit mechanical though, and the choral sound was that of a small-ish number of valiant trebles battling against would-be soloists from the ROH. I hope that isn't being too damning! There are lots of different sorts of choir from the ultra-blended to those highlighting individual vocal timbres. Both are valid, but to me this didn't come over too well. Vigilate sounded like some sort of competition! Even the hymns didn't quite gel. A personal view, of course. I just felt the 'back row' could have held back a bit.

If you want to hear them at their best with similar repertoire I’d recommended their recent Tomkins CD, which contains what I think are the only recordings of his Fourth and Seventh services. That definitely shows them punching above their weight.
            Thanks for that, Cat. I'll give it a go if I can get hold of it.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Effort was fine, repertoire not for the faint-hearted and of course covid etc etc a real factor.
              I was commenting on what I heard and not on the character or determination of the ensemble!
              Wish them all the best.

Comment

Working...
              X