X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keraulophone
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Magister Chori View Post
    …many others still remain unrecorded (most notably the Finzi and the Walton).
    Hickox recorded ‘The Twelve’ with his CLS & the Westminster Singers - https://youtu.be/0IY8-bRy0r8

You’re right that this and the Finzi are very seldom done with orchestra. Truro Cathedral Choir sang it in a concert broadcast on R3 (though not live) with Vernon Handley and the BBC Welsh SO (as it then was). There is an important clarinet solo in the orchestral introduction, but the player completely missed it - they’d probably never played the piece before. Lo and behold, it was there in the broadcast!

[apologies for continuing OT]

Comment

• jonfan
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      What I liked about this CE was the careful blend of the choral sound, especially the ATB. I think this something rather special to choirs with young voices,
      Gipps canticles fascinating. The sopranos certainly had their range tested to the full....tricky Glorias especially. The director had, I think, done an amazing job in preparing this CE, even if he had top-notch young voices at is disposal.
      Well put Mr A Great to hear the Gipps’ Canticles and also an ear-tingling voluntary to finish.

Comment

• Simon Biazeck
        • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
        That one is a reissue of some of the same tracks plus Belshazzar. I think this RVW and Walton disc was the second one from the same forces:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...lap-your-hands
        Thank you. I realized that I have had the RVW/Wlaton cd for some time.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Forgive my ignorance, but is The Rodolfus the successor to Ralph Allwood's Eton Choral Course?
          Good to hear the Finzi anthem too. Wonderful piece.

It is indeed a wonderful piece …. I enjoyed the whole broadcast ….

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Just an afterthought.....good to hear a movement from Bach's French Suite No.5 at the end. It made a good 'trio-sonata' for organ.

Comment

• Vox Humana
              • Dec 2012

I enjoyed this evensong very much. The Gipps canticles were well worth while, I thought - quite original in style, yet with discernable traces of her teacher. They didn't sound at all easy, though. It's a shame we didn't get all the psalmody billed. but maybe the time needed to get the Gipps and the Finzi up to scratch meant that something had to give.

I'm afraid I didn't think the Bach gained from being played on an organ.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

It didn't necessarily 'gain' anything, but somebody must have thought it would sound good as an organ piece...and IMVHO it did! Let's agree to differ.

Comment

• Vox Humana
                  • Dec 2012

It didn't necessarily 'gain' anything, but somebody must have thought it would sound good as an organ piece...and IMVHO it did! Let's agree to differ.
                  Indeed, ardcarp. I wasn't having a personal dig at all and I apologise if it came over that way.

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Have one on me too!

Comment

Working...
                    X