• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Mary Berry.....

....No, not that one. The late Dr Mary Berry:

The RSCM Guide to Plainchant | An Introduction to Plainsong by Mary Berry , John Rowlands-Pritchard , Book. The RSCM Guide to Plainchant is a revision of the seminal and best-selling Plainchant for Everyon...

and

I was reminded of her by catching up, bit by bit today, on Sunday's liturgical hours sung by the Tallis Scholars. Very often, plainsong/plainchant is done rather awkwardly by choirs not 'of the tradition'. I thought the Tallis Scholars sounded very much at home with it, even if professional singers inevitably sound different from what you might hear at a Benedictine monastery.

Years ago (can't remember exactly when) a group of us 'hired' Dr Berry to do a day of plainsong with us. It was absolutely fascinating as well as being instructive. Mary knew about other styles of plainsong singing...not just the 'monks of Solesmes' style. One system used in a sect of the Eastern Orthodox tradition...can't remember which....was a sort of long-short triple rhythm. The thing which made the day was finishing off by singing the Victoria Salve Regina; a burst of glorious polyphony after hours of monody! The setting used by yesterday's Vespers.

It was that which reminded me of this.

Having been reared as an Anglican, I was at first never comfortable with plainsong until, as a lay clerk, the Tuesday men's only service always did good old Briggs and Frere psalms. Although I was supposed to be singing tenor, I usually ended up accompanying the psalms, as either the O&C or his assistant took Tuesdays off. I remember Arthur Hutchings saying "There's nothing to it; just score-read a Haydn String Quartet in the background and no-one will notice". Luckily I ignored his attempt at humour, resorting instead to higher authority. Thanks J.H. Arnold!
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Thank you for the links, arders. What an amazing life. Single-minded?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
      Late Member
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Years ago (can't remember exactly when) a group of us 'hired' Dr Berry to do a day of plainsong with us. It was absolutely fascinating as well as being instructive. Mary knew about other styles of plainsong singing...not just the 'monks of Solesmes' style. One system used in a sect of the Eastern Orthodox tradition...can't remember which....was a sort of long-short triple rhythm.
      There are certainly a number of ways to skin that particular cat. Ensemble Organum, for example, have quite an individual way of singing chant. Here's a track from their CD Le chant des Templiers, which someone once described to me as plainsong as a weapon of war.
      My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

Very belated thanks to Mary Berry for providing the earliest Early Music on my racks

RIP
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Wolsey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          ....No, not that one. The late Dr Mary Berry:

https://www.giamusic.com/store/resou...ant-book-g9030
          and still available in the UK from its publisher.

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Well remembered for expert Gramophone reviews.

Comment

Working...
            X