X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I gather (but am not sure) that the manufacturing process is now outsourced on licence and that the Abbey gets around 5 million a year from it. I think the product is thought of as having the highest alcohol content per £1 than any other...but that might just be a myth among the Buckie drinkers. Not sure what's happened to the honey that used to be produced by the monks.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      I gather (but am not sure) that the manufacturing process is now outsourced on licence and that the Abbey gets around 5 million a year from it. I think the product is thought of as having the highest alcohol content per £1 than any other...but that might just be a myth among the Buckie drinkers. Not sure what's happened to the honey that used to be produced by the monks.
      Myth indeed. Its alcoholic content is but 15%. Supermarket own-brand ginger wine has more alcohol to the £, as do cheap British sherries.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

The bee department at Buckfast Abbey has changed from honey production to education.
        https://www.buckfast.org.uk/bees-past-and-present

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Vespers was wonderfully restful!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Thanks for steering things back on topic, cloughie! It was, wasn’t it it
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• AuntDaisy
              Host
              • Jun 2018

Very restful. Nothing to Compline about this glorious special.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

A lovely way to end the day - especially the Victoria, a composer whose music I have long liked both to sing and to hear. The other two early pieces were a reminder of the distances some early musicians traveled and that Christian church music wasn't confined to Europe; going to South America in the early 16th century is, I would submit, rather more remarkable than Bach's walk to Lubeck.
                It is reassuring to know that R3 can still summon the resources to put on a project like this, but tinged with sadness and frustration that that ability isn't used more often. I suppose this particular initiative wouldn't be that popular with the tick-boxers - too niche and non-inclusive and not meeting the yoof audience needs/demands... which works against further attempts.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  A lovely way to end the day - especially the Victoria, a composer whose music I have long liked both to sing and to hear. The other two early pieces were a reminder of the distances some early musicians traveled and that Christian church music wasn't confined to Europe; going to South America in the early 16th century is, I would submit, rather more remarkable than Bach's walk to Lubeck.
                  It is reassuring to know that R3 can still summon the resources to put on a project like this, but tinged with sadness and frustration that that ability isn't used more often. I suppose this particular initiative wouldn't be that popular with the tick-boxers - too niche and non-inclusive and not meeting the yoof audience needs/demands... which works against further attempts.
                  But was it too niche? - in some ways, particularly the style of presentation meant it could be seriously listened to or provide gentle background music and much of it may appeal to those who have latched on to Adiemus and other similar music. On the other hand I think that if this kind of programming was broadcast regularly it may destroy the magic of how it came over yesterday. I think the nusic played would have warded off all the evil spirits of Haloween and paved the way for the Saints to march in at midnight!

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

But was it too niche? - in some ways, particularly the style of presentation meant it could be seriously listened to or provide gentle background music and much of it may appeal to those who have latched on to Adiemus and other similar music. On the other hand I think that if this kind of programming was broadcast regularly it may destroy the magic of how it came over yesterday. I think the nusic played would have warded off all the evil spirits of Haloween and paved the way for the Saints to march in at midnight!
                    Of course not, I was allowing my world-weariness and cynicism to creep in. I agree that too much repetition of a similar format/material would not be good, but I was thinking more in terms of the occasional foray into a temporary( dedicated day or a short series) different style of programme. Petroc's Yorkshire river journey earlier this year was well received (and across a wide audience as far as I can make out due to local coverage and an element of "non-musical/R3" content ) and didn't disrupt the regular output even though it was spread over several days.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      Of course not, I was allowing my world-weariness and cynicism to creep in. I agree that too much repetition of a similar format/material would not be good, but I was thinking more in terms of the occasional foray into a temporary( dedicated day or a short series) different style of programme. Petroc's Yorkshire river journey earlier this year was well received (and across a wide audience as far as I can make out due to local coverage and an element of "non-musical/R3" content ) and didn't disrupt the regular output even though it was spread over several days.
                      I agree with totally there - Petroc’s trip was excellent and clearly he thoroughly enjoyed it. Surprising us with occasional gems is a good add on for R3.

Comment

• Subtuum
                        • Oct 2021

It’s all very similar to this (which TTS often contribute to in a very similar way): https://www.martinrandall.com/divine-office

Comment

• Constantbee
                          • Jul 2017

As far as I can see it's all imported these days, ardie. Looks like the candles they sell are, too. Shouldn't be any need for that. A lot of us are still using Buckfast queens descended from Brother Adam's stock in our hives.
                          And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• Constantbee
                            • Jul 2017

Music for the Hours came up in conversation today and no fewer than four of us had been listening, on and off. If the sample's anything to go by it must been a huge success for R3. Someone had tried to find out whether the Tallis Scholars had any plans to release a recording. Apparently, some(all?) is (will be?) available to download, but he hadn't been able to find any mention of a CD in the pipeline, which would be his recording of choice. Anyone know of any plans, or indeed any other recommended recordings?
                            And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

Working...
                            X