X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Having just re-listened to this week's CE, paying slightly more attention, I quite enjoyed the plainsong and the fauxbourdons even if (apologies to the experts) they were inappropriately used. I found the Fayrfax, especially the Regale Mag, somewhat disappointing...and I don't want to say why because it might refer to individuals. Let's just say the tuning was a bit off sometimes. For anyone not knowing that magical period (which I always think of as a bridge between Medieval times and the early Renaissance) might care to listen to other recordings of that ilk.

I wonder if anyone knows the O Bone Jesu Magnificat by Fayrfax? I sang it first very soon after Paul Doe had edited it:

Edited by Paul Doe First published in 1964 Pages: 152 Format: Paperback Dimensions (mm): 253 x 175 x 10 The importance attached to the worship of the Virgin Mary in late-Medieval England is reflected in elaborate treatments of the Magnificat, of which only some 22 intact settings survive. This volume contains six 5-part Magnificats - two anonymous, one each by Fayrfax, Cornysh, Turges and Prentyce - and one 6-part Magnificat Benedicta by Ludford. Individual titles from this volume are available as Adobe PDF files...

It's a great piece and I can recommend it. This is what Fayrfax ought to sound like IMVHO, though no-one can know of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2q4DkKyQns (ficta a bit different..and the occasional notated note)
    Last edited by ardcarp; 24-10-21, 16:58.

Comment

• Keraulophone
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
      The ‘h’ as in hodie is not pronounced, for example, so in the spoken language is comes out as ‘odie Christus natus est’, whereas if I’m not mistaken 'h' would be pronounced in a choral setting.
      Normally we don’t pronounce the ‘h’ in the cathedral choir when singing in Latin. For example, Weelkes’s great setting of Hosanna to the Son of David begins with an emphatic ‘Ho’ in English, but concludes with ‘Hosanna in Excelsis Deo’ which is sung ‘osanna’.

Comment

Working...
      X