X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntyKezia
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Well Jerusalem is a different matter altogether: its locale may be local but its message is universal. The "other country" is another country, not the one we're asked in Verse 1 to pledge ourselves to.
    I seem to recall 'I vow to thee' was sung at Princess Diana's funeral, as being one of her favourite hymns from school.

Comment

• jonfan
      • Dec 2010

A much better text to Thaxted, and less controversial, is 'O God beyond all praising' by Michael Perry in the supplement to the New English Hymnal. We 'heard' it sung today at our service.

Comment

• Vox Humana
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Holst himself is said to have disapproved of the words set to his famous tune from "Jupiter", and I'm on his side when it comes to such nationalistic tub-thumping, even if it comes down to being in a minority of one - which I don't believe I am.
        I'm with Holst. If ever there was a good tune that should have been left alone, that is it.

I agree that the psalms were a tad slow. BUT... I would guess that the speed is the product of experience in that acoustic and is what is required for the words to be audible. And audible they certainly were. Bravo! What is the point of singing psalms if you can't hear the words. Other DoMs please note.

Hymn speeds were absolutely ideal. I can't stand the perfunctoriness that is fashionable today. People seem to think it more musical to keep things pressing forward all the time. To me, such speeds are, with rare exceptions, unmusical and superficial (though I have been known to make an exception for Monk's Gate, which does go better at a stately two-in-a-bar than in a turgid four).

Anyway, enough of my hobby horse. A very well crafted Evensong and beautifully sung. Thank you, Rugby.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
          A much better text to Thaxted, and less controversial, is 'O God beyond all praising' by Michael Perry in the supplement to the New English Hymnal. We 'heard' it sung today at our service.
          Is that the late Ven. Archdeacon of Durham, who was once the Church's adviser on spiritualism and the occult?

Comment

• Finzi4ever
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
            I agree that the psalms were a tad slow. BUT... I would guess that the speed is the product of experience in that acoustic and is what is required for the words to be audible. .
            Unlike Keble, Rugby chapel's acoustic is nothing like as generous as the height of Butterfield's building might suggest, nor is it particularly long, and its hammer beam wooden ceiling sucks up sound.

Comment

• jonfan
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
              Is that the late Ven. Archdeacon of Durham, who was once the Church's adviser on spiritualism and the occult?
              Err very much doubt it. He was with the Jubilate publishing group. His most famous piece is The Calypso Carol ‘See him lying on a bed of straw’ made famous by Cliff Richard no less.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                • Nov 2010

Recording of another CE from Rugby School scheduled for broadcasting on 11th August.

Comment

• RAC
                  • Mar 2011

Michael Charles Perry (1933-2015) was Archdeacon of Durham 1970-1993
                  Michael Arnold Perry (1942-1996) was also an Anglican Priest and author of many hymns and carols
                  RAC

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks for clearing that up. MC Perry's sermons were often quite something: "The World, the flesh & the Devil: 'O good', you're all thinking, 'The Archdeacon is going to preach about sex'. Well I'm not!"

Comment

Working...
                    X