Exaudi at lunchtime...last Monday (31st May)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Exaudi at lunchtime...last Monday (31st May)

Exaudi seem to be one of the few professional vocal groups espousing genuinely contemporary vocal music. Incredibly difficult stuff to sing. Picking random notes from the ether, However in their Wigmore Hall programme, called Chromatic Renaissance, more than half the programme was from 16th century chromaticists. Not just Gesualdo as one might expect, but Lassus, Marenzio and others. Also pretty difficult.

Celebrated vocal group EXAUDI perform expressive music from the 16th and 17th centuries.

The concluding Gesualdo pieces were especially beautiful, IMO.

In a programme they've called Chromatic Renaissance, leading vocal ensemble EXAUDI present a feast of expressive music from 16th- and 17th-century Italy interspersed with music by living composers who have gone beyond chromaticism to microtonality. But they begin with Franco-Flemish composer Orlando de Lassus whose Prophetiae Sibyllarum is one of most famous and celebrated examples of extreme Renaissance chromaticism.

Presented live from Wigmore Hall by Martin Handley.

Orlande de Lassus: Prophetiae Sibyllarum (selection)
    Nicolà Vicentino: Musica prisca caput; Soave e dolce ardore
    Elisabet Dijkstra: here, now (world premiere)
    Sylvia Lim: paper wings
    Luzzasco Luzzaschi: O voi che sospirate
    Luca Marenzio: Quivi sospiri
    Christopher Fox: senso commune
    Carlo Gesualdo: Itene, o miei sospiri; Deh, come invan sospiro; Asciugate i begli occhi; Languisce al fin

EXAUDI
    Juliet Fraser (soprano)
    Lucy Goddard (mezzo)
    Tom Williams (countertenor)
    David de Winter, Stephen Jeffes (tenor)
    Jimmy Holliday (bass)
    James Weeks (director)
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

You can also watch them on the Wigmore Hall YouTube channel - some interesting vocal techniques for "paper wings" ~23:30 mins in.
    Very heartening to see such a large audience.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

(Apologies for cross-posting, I found your earlier post first).

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

No apology needed! Extra info very welcome.

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

Here is a Review of the concert::

To feast my ears on the wonderfully eclectic programme curated by the EXAUDI vocal ensemble and, of course, to attend the Wigmore Hall debut as well as world premiere of the composition of my dear …

★★★☆☆The statistics of this recital with a live audience could be tabulated as follows: five or six singers; eight composers, five of them ancient, three contem

Both Dijkstra and Lim made much use of whispering. I couldn't detect what was whispered, but I guess that's not too important.

Comment

Working...
        X