CE St Martin-in-the-Fields, London [L] Wed, 12th May 2021
    St Martin’s Voices
    The Eve of the Ascension

Order of Service:

Introit: The Ascension (Philip Moore)
    Responses: Ben Parry
    Psalms 15, 24 (Greenhow, Barnby)
    First Lesson: 2 Samuel 23 vv.1-5
    Office hymn: Teach me my God and King (Sandys)
    Canticles: Collegium Magdalenae Oxoniense (Leighton)
    Second Lesson: Colossians 2 v.20 – 3 v.4
    Anthem: God is gone up (Finzi)
    Prayer anthem: King of Glory, King of peace (Grayston Ives)
    Hymn: Let all the world (Luckington)

Voluntary: Siciliano for a High Ceremony (Howells)

Ben Giddens (Organist)
    Andrew Earis (Director of Music)
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Reminder - today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Is there any particular reason for the George Herbert hymns/anthem sung here? I can see no anniversary or association that he might have had with St Martin in the Fields.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        Is there any particular reason for the George Herbert hymns/anthem sung here? I can see no anniversary or association that he might have had with St Martin in the Fields.
        The anthem seems appropriate for Ascensiontide?

Comment

• Simon Biazeck
          • Jul 2020

I can't wait to hear the organ postlude by Herbert Howells - 'Siciliano for a High Ceremony' - on that lovely organ. Inspired programming (a solemn dance for Ascension) and a rare treat. One of my favourites!

SBz.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            The anthem seems appropriate for Ascensiontide?
            God is Gone Up is set to words from Psalm 47 so not by George Herbert. However, the words of both hymns and the prayer-anthem are by Herbert, not necessarily related to Ascensiontide, and I was wondering if there is some connection that I might be missing. No complaint, though, as George Herbert's hymns are always memorable
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Aeon
              • May 2021

So today's CE is live...that's interesting. Is that rare? Don't think I've listened to a live one previously.

Comment

• jonfan
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Aeon View Post
                So today's CE is live...that's interesting. Is that rare? Don't think I've listened to a live one previously.
                Last week. Thankfully not rare at the moment.

Comment

• Magister Chori
                  • Nov 2020

A very pleasant CE: a good mix of well known pieces and new - or less known - items, with a particular mention for Nils Greenhow's chant.

The Finzi's anthem came in one of the best renditions I've ever heard. Shame for the Magnificat, quite lacking in its rhytmic and driving charachter: a little faster base tempo and a more staccato organ touch/singing style might have helped.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

<< A very pleasant CE: a good mix of well known pieces and new >>
                    No swagger, no fuss, no grandiose gestures - yes, v. nicely done.

Comment

• jonfan
                      • Dec 2010

A fitting Ascensiontide CE with thoughtful and muscular singing by turns. Terrific organ reeds were thrilling. Appropriate prayers and intros explaining the use of the George Herbert texts from Dr Sam Wells [never a wasted word or thought].

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Haven't heard the service yet, so shall listen out especially for Leighton's canticles which I love.
                        Talking of Finzi, it's a shame his Magnificat isn't done more often. I suppose its lacking a Gloria makes it a bit unusual for the Anglican rite.

Comment

• Rolmill
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Magister Chori View Post
                          ...a particular mention for Nils Greenhow's chant.

The Finzi's anthem came in one of the best renditions I've ever heard.
                          Agreed on both counts. I loved the Greenhow chant, which I've not heard before, and thought 'God is gone up' was very well paced and sung, nicely capturing its varying moods.

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

An excellent CE. What a fine choir they have at SMitF. Well blended, and the organ balance good too. As far as post#9:

Shame for the Magnificat, quite lacking in its rhytmic and driving charachter
                            I didn't share that view. Yes I've heard it done faster, but rhythmic drive doesn't necessarily need speed to achieve it. IMHO of course.

On a theological point, I was faintly amused at the opening remarks from Dr Wells about Ascensiontide saying something along the lines of 'Jesus left the world knowing his work on earth had been done....today we may wonder if it had been'. That's probably a gross misquote, but did anyone else have the same thought?

Comment

• mopsus
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                              Haven't heard the service yet, so shall listen out especially for Leighton's canticles which I love.
                              Talking of Finzi, it's a shame his Magnificat isn't done more often. I suppose its lacking a Gloria makes it a bit unusual for the Anglican rite.
                              I have sung this Magnificat in Canterbury and Exeter Cathedrals (and not in Holy Week!) without any clergy objecting. But if a Gloria is essential, David Bednall composed one which cleverly uses themes from the rest of the Magnificat. It was written for Gloucester and I heard it at the 3 Choirs Festival 2016. It does however make the Magnificat even more long and demanding, especially if you pair it with the Nunc which David Bednall wrote to go with it! And you lose the transition from the climactic 'Abraham and his seed for ever' to the gentler 'Amen'.

Comment

Working...
                              X