The name of the evensong section that ends "... is now and ever shall be..."?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aeon
    • May 2021

The name of the evensong section that ends "... is now and ever shall be..."?

Hello --

I wonder if anyone can help me with a question. I am not a music expert and I have no knowledge about choral music, I just enjoy listening to Choral Evensong on Radio 3 on Wednesdays and Sundays. I've noticed each evensong has different parts (parts of the mass I guess). My favourite part is near the start where the singing leads to the bit where they sing "As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end, amen".

What is that section called? It always seems to have the most beautiful (and often unusual) harmonies. I'd like to be able to search and find choirs singing that bit.

Thanks.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Aeon View Post
    Hello --

I wonder if anyone can help me with a question. I am not a music expert and I have no knowledge about choral music, I just enjoy listening to Choral Evensong on Radio 3 on Wednesdays and Sundays. I've noticed each evensong has different parts (parts of the mass I guess). My favourite part is near the start where the singing leads to the bit where they sing "As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end, amen".

What is that section called? It always seems to have the most beautiful (and often unusual) harmonies. I'd like to be able to search and find choirs singing that bit.

Thanks.
    It's the Gloria, sung at the end of every Psalm (occasionally omitted during Lent) and Canticle, and is also part of the Responses.

English version:

Glory be to the Father and to the Son
    And to the Holy Ghost
    As it was in the beginning,
    Is now and ever shall be
    World without end, Amen.

Comment

• Vox Humana
      • Dec 2012

[Post deleted because already answered by ardcarp.]

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

One of a number of forms of the Doxology.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Aeon, from your original post, I guess you were probably thinking of the first set of Responses. Lots of composers have done musical settings, but one of the best-known is by William Smith of Durham:

A setting of the Preces and Responses by the 17th Century English composer, William Smith.Sung by the Choir 'Seraphic Fire'.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            One of a number of forms of the Doxology.
            As soon as I saw the question I said 'Doxology' to myself remembering as a choirboy in the 1960s when our Choirmaster told us this
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

It always seems to have the most beautiful (and often unusual) harmonies.
              Which reminds me. I've heard the Howells Collegium Regale several times over the past year or so and each time I think how wonderful the Gloria is, whereas the Mag and Nunc themselves are in the take it or leave it category for me (apologies to Howells fans)
              The Smith responses are lovely and have for me just about the most beautiful Amen written. It was always a joy to sing them, and I still sing along when they are on CE and get a lift to the spirits.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

I like the wistful opening of Howells' Coll Reg Mag...just upper voices. And the Nunc is a bit of a gift for a tenor soloist. Back to Glorias....Howell's St Paul's is quite good too!

Comment

• Vox Humana
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                  Back to Glorias....Howell's St Paul's is quite good too!
                  A fabulous exercise in gradual, sustained climax building, with a glorious yell for tenors especially at the end.

Comment

• Aeon
                    • May 2021

Many thanks to everyone for your responses. If anyone can direct me to more Choral Evensong type music (on Youtube or somesuch) that is considered beautiful I'd appreciate it. Listening to Wednesday's Radio 3 CE right now!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

I always found the addition of a doxology to a hymn (A&M) rather odd; often out of keeping with the language of the whole.

Comment

• Aeon
                        • May 2021

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
                        A fabulous exercise in gradual, sustained climax building, with a glorious yell for tenors especially at the end.
                        Are we still talking about music??

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Are we still talking about music??
                          Ahem! This is the Choir Section of the Forum....

Comment

• jonfan
                            • Dec 2010

Many thanks to everyone for your responses. If anyone can direct me to more Choral Evensong type music (on Youtube or somesuch) that is considered beautiful I'd appreciate it. Listening to Wednesday's Radio 3 CE right now!
                            There's plenty of CEs on YouTube with a wonderful richness of choice. Type in cathedrals such Truro and Ely, plus university chapels such as Clare, King's, St Johns and Trinity in Cambridge, and you'll be directed to many hours of listening and watching.

Comment

Working...
                            X