• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Good Friday on Essential Classics

The 'Listeners' Choice' slot on Essential Classics today was seeded by Kenneth Leighton's Drop Drop Slow Tears, which forms the final section of his Crucifixus Pro Nobis. (It was sung as the anthem on a recent CE from Kings.) The topic was 'tears'.

The pieces selected:

1.Gibbons' setting of Phineas Fletcher's words sung superbly by St Paul's in John Scott's day, the final verse being a treble solo.

2. One of Dowlsnds' Lachrimae Pavans, played by Phantasm with Elizabeth Kenny (lute). It may be known better to some as his setting of the words Flow my Tears.

3. Poulenc's motet Vinea mea Electa sung by The Sixteen

4. Django Reinhardt & Stéphane Grappelli playing 'Tears'. Maybe a bit of a jolt...but let's be broad-minded.

5. Walton's Drop Drop Slow Tears sung by Polyphony. (One of my relations in the choir, but don't let that put you off!)

This really is a Radio 3 moment not to miss. I was driving at the time, and had to pull over as my tears were not that slow.

Refresh your morning with a great selection of classical music.

...about 1hr 32 mins from start.
    Last edited by ardcarp; 02-04-21, 15:21.
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Which goes to show the listeners could do a better job...
    I only heard the first part of the sequence, but when I saw the list later I thought it was not a typical SK style pick.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      The 'Listeners' Choice' slot on Essential Classics today was seeded by Kenneth Leighton's Drop Drop Slow Tears, which forms the final section of his Crucifixus Pro Nobis. (It was sung as the anthem on a recent CE from Kings.) The topic was 'tears'.

The pieces selected:

1.Gibbons' setting of Phineas Fletcher's words sung superbly by St Paul's in John Scott's day, the final verse being a treble solo.

2. One of Dowlsnds' Lachrimae Pavans, played by Phantasm with Elizabeth Kenny (lute). It may be known better to some as his setting of the words Flow my Tears.

4. Django Reinhardt & Stéphane Grappelli playing 'Tears'. Maybe a bit of a jolt...but let's be broad-minded.

5. Walton's Drop Drop Slow Tears sung by Polyphony. (One of my relations in the choir, but don't let that put you off!)

This really is a Radio 3 moment not to miss. I was driving at the time, and had to pull over as my tears were not that slow.

And thankfully no Ken Dodd!

Comment

• Roslynmuse
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        And thankfully no Ken Dodd!
        Wait for "Happy Harmonies"!

Comment

• Edgy 2
          • Jan 2019

The pieces selected:

Wonderful, thanks for this, just caught up with it (even better if you listen from 1hr 34mins 13 secs from start )
          “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

I'd've chosen this:

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

The pieces selected:

Will listen tomorrow ardcarp ..... looking forward to it .....

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                Will listen tomorrow ardcarp ..... looking forward to it .....
                Absolutely sublime IMVVHO ardcarp .......and minimal schoolmarminess ..... I remember when this feature first arrived in the schedules it got a very bad press from the experts round here, but I enjoy it ..... it often throws up some real gems .... but then I am as far from an expert as it is possible to get ......

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

I suspect that in the case of EC, listeners’ choices are in the same category as the US’s offer to give the UK whatever it wanted, in the film Love Actually.

Comment

• jonfan
                    • Dec 2010

Thank you Mr A for alerting us to this. I would have asked for Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton.

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      I suspect that in the case of EC, listeners’ choices are in the same category as the US’s offer to give the UK whatever it wanted, in the film Love Actually.
                      Lost me E_A but I’m sure you’re right ........

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

I'm glad people liked this particular 'plebs' slot' in Essential Classics. I'm afraid the tears welled again this morning (Record Review) with Byrd's Lullaby, most beautifully sung on a new CD from Alamire with mezzo Martha McLorinan and Fretwork.

About 15 mins from start.
                        Last edited by ardcarp; 03-04-21, 11:55.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

I'm glad people liked this particular 'plebs' slot' in Essential Classics. I'm afraid the tears welled again this morning (Record Review) with Byrd's Lullaby, most beautifully sung on a new CD from Alamire with mezzo Martha McLorinan and Fretwork.

...and Boris said we weren’t returning to the tear system - seriously though just had a listen and some beautiful pieces ideal for GF.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

So glad I didn't switch off at 9am as I usually do, hearing this was a real joy.

Comment

Working...
                            X