• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Singing Together, yet Apart: A research paper on choirs in lockdown

One of the members of the choir I used to (and may yet again!) sing in is a co-author of this recently published paper, details of which I have had permission to post.

Daffern, H., K. Balmer, and J. Brereton. (2021). Singing Together, yet Apart: The Experience of UK Choir Members and Facilitators during the Covid-19 Pandemic.
    Frontiers in Psychology 12: 303.

The Covid-19 induced United Kingdom-wide lockdown in 2020 saw choirs face a unique situation of trying to continue without being able to meet in-person. Live...

Although they are no longer looking for people to engage in this bit of research, there's a chance that they might run a similar study again later, depending on funding, and if so I'll post a 'request for volunteers' on the forum then, in the hope that some forum members would like to take part.
  • Cockney Sparrow
    • Jan 2014

I'll read that - thanks very much.

My choir had its Zoom rehearsal last night (one week short of the anniversary of our last (distanced 1.5 metres on our own initiative) full choir rehearsal. The MD said he's keen to be ready to rehearse, in whatever way is possible, as soon as we can so will now consult and hopefully formulate plans with the committee. My 2nd vaccination date is 3 May if 12 weeks is the basis, so I might be willing to go 3 weeks after that - I'm assuming its another 3 weeks to develop the benefit.

A choir member has posted this link (and I've yet to read/watch the information):

“Preliminary results of ground-breaking research project into the impact of Covid-19 on musical instruments and singing”

The main content is a 65 minute webinar on YTube:

We were delighted to collaborate with the French Musical Instruments Manufacturing Association to present a Webinar on Music Instrument Disinfection and Wind...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

I'm in two choirs, but there's no way I'd been interested in participating in zoom rehearsals. I'd sooner stay at home and practise the piano, until lockdown is finally lifted.
      One of the choirs is proposing moving to a larger venue, where there's sufficient room to rehearse in a socially distanced way. That's a compromise worth investigating.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

[QUOTE=Eine Alpensinfonie;837023]I'm in two choirs, but there's no way I'd been interested in participating in zoom rehearsals. I'd sooner stay at home and practise the piano, until lockdown is finally lifted.
        One of the choirs is proposing moving to a larger venue, where there's sufficient room to rehearse in a socially distanced way. That's a compromise worth investigating.[/QUOTE]

Essential I would say if a restart is planned before 2022!

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

but there's no way I'd been interested in participating in zoom rehearsals
          I wouldn't either,not least because I have a very bad effect on cyber technology. However, anyone who saw the clever way some 'posh' choirs had put together Christmas music can only be admired, and the participants congratulated for their altruistic enterprise! Some pretty smart stuff was done on the Ex Cathedra website too.

I know several people (some family members included) who are despairing at teaching singing/piano remotely, as is one teaching a class of approx 20 kids A-level music in a 6th form college. I gather Ass Board music exams can be taken online this term. Is that via Zoom?

Comment

• subcontrabass
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            I gather Ass Board music exams can be taken online this term. Is that via Zoom?
            It is only the performance part of a practical exam, assessed with distinctive award. Other parts (scales, sight reading, aural tests) are omitted. Marking is from an uploaded video recording. Theory exam up to Grade 5 can also be done online, with monitoring via a webcam.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
              It is only the performance part of a practical exam, assessed with distinctive award. Other parts (scales, sight reading, aural tests) are omitted. Marking is from an uploaded video recording. Theory exam up to Grade 5 can also be done online, with monitoring via a webcam.
              ABRSM have extended the dates for exams based on 2019/20 pieces to the end of 2021.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Personally as an amateur, amateur singer, I find Zoom rehearsals and recording to produce the finished product very rewarding, in the absence of the real thing. We have had some amazing collaborations in the Stay at Home Choir.

OG
                Last edited by Old Grumpy; 05-03-21, 22:12.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                  • Jan 2014

I'm not so interested in unmuting and making a vocal contribution. Not least because I will need to fettle up my vocal chords etc.

I take my hat off to those who do the stay at home choir, although I think it must be limited in scope because of the time taken to combine the contributions technically.

I join the Zoom to keep in contact with the Choir and to support the MD, the accompanist (and their remuneration for appearing) and the committee who have done their absolute best to maintain morale and look ahead to us singing together again. In those far off summer/early autumn days we did have some covid safe rehearsals, on a shift system (so only an hour).
                  In contrast the other choir I sing with hasn't done much -I suspect because of the technical limitations of many of the members and what amounts to insufficient support.
                  But hopefully the day will come when we will hold full 2 hour rehearsals again - eventually; but probably in phased return to normality along the way. And we will see who amongst has returned to the fold.......
                  Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 05-03-21, 12:43. Reason: Typo

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

St Piran’s Day today - reminds me that it is a year since our ‘informal’ group sang a proper gig.

Comment

Working...
                    X