• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
    glorious psalm singing! (as far as I've got so far) - not long till Parsons...
    Very sweet-sounding choir, first class imho
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Keraulophone
      • Nov 2010

How lovely to hear our wonderful trebles again after months of enforced silence, and to be reminded of Luke’s colourful and pictorial psalm accompaniment. Listening to this made me feel deeply aware of what we are missing at present.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Agree about the Psalm. Much attention to detail, and pacing + dynamics superb.

I think I agree about the Parsons canticles. They do stick around one tonal centre. I hesitate to cast a single slur on that wonderful CE from Truro, but maybe those canticles were just a bit too fast? I wonder if they would have given Parsons more grandeur at a slightly slower pace. Anyway, he didn't match up musically to Guerrero, Byrd or Josquin...the latter being sung with real tenderness. And the Karg Elert allowed the wonderful Willis to show its virtues! Thanks to all those at Truro almost exactly 5 years ago!

Comment

• jonfan
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
          How lovely to hear our wonderful trebles again after months of enforced silence, and to be reminded of Luke’s colourful and pictorial psalm accompaniment. Listening to this made me feel deeply aware of what we are missing at present.
          Yes indeed, I felt quite emotional listening to the service. When sung services are back I for one will never take them for granted again.
          Terrific, vibrant singing, alert to every meaning and the whole crowned with an exciting voluntary to send one out with a proverbial spring in the step!

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

<< When sung services are back I for one will never take them for granted again. >>

So, so true. Well said!

Comment

• Magister Chori
              • Nov 2020

A lovely service, with great psalms singing.

For all the Parsons' enthusiasts, it seems we'll have the same canticles back to us soon: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qqt08

Comment

• mopsus
                • Nov 2010

Does look as if they don't check the music lists when scheduling archive broadcasts!

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Maybe not, but a good excuse for comparisons!

Comment

Working...
                  X