• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Hereford Cathedral Wed, 16th Dec 2020 [L]

CE Hereford Cathedral [L]

Order of Service:

Introit: Rorate coeli (Byrd)
    Responses: Smith
    Psalms 82, 84, 85 (Turle, Bairstow, Hopkins)
    First Lesson: Isaiah 39: 1-8
    Canticles: Second Service (Leighton)
    Second Lesson: Matthew 17: 14-21
    Anthem: Alma redemptoris mater (Victoria)

Voluntary: Toccata (Gowers)

Peter Dyke (Assistant Director of Music)
    Geraint Bowen (Director of Music)

• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Apologies for early posting, but....things ganging up...!!

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.
      And it is LIVE and on R3 and Free.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Hereford offer regular webcasts. A fine choir / music every time.
        // Matins, Sunday 15 October 2023 This webcast includes Charles Villiers Stanford's anthem O for a closer walk with God. Open in pop-up player The texts of the psalms can be found here (opens in a new tab or window). Text of the anthem O for a closer walk with God, A calm and heavenly frame; A light to shine upon the road That leads me to the Lamb! Return, O holy dove, return, Sweet messenger of rest; I hate the sins that made thee mourn, And drove thee from my breast. So shall my walk be close with God, Calm and serene my frame; So purer light shall mark the road That leads me to the Lamb. William Cowper 1731–1800 We are very grateful to the Perpetual Trust for their support of the music of Hereford Cathedral. To find out more about the work of the Trust or to make a gift to further support our choral foundation please click here. About our webcasts The recording of services began in the autumn of 2015, when a new sound system was installed in the cathedral. These were made available on an occasional basis on our Soundcloud page. Our current aim is to make a different service available each month and, in this way, we seek to allow those unable to be with us in person to participate in the worship that is central to the life of Hereford Cathedral. It is important to note that in these recordings, the listener hears exactly what they would have heard had they been present at the service itself. No extra rehearsal is undertaken beforehand, and no editing takes place afterwards. An order for Choral Evensong can be downloaded here. We hope that you enjoy these ‘snapshots’ of the daily services at Hereford Cathedral. If you would like to be notified each time a new webcast is made available, please fill in this form. Archive An archive of our more recent webcasts is available here. To see all our previous webcasts, please visit our Soundcloud page.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

It seems that a congregation was allowed today - with face masks, of course.

Comment

• jonfan
            • Dec 2010

Great music stunningly performed with a feeling of immense space around the worship culminating with the very exciting organ voluntary.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

That voluntary...........WOW!
              Agree with every syllable of jonfan's posting!
              How to bring light to a dark, dark day - singing, playing...all of it.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

Excellent that they gave so much time to that wonderful Voluntary ....

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Comment

• Magister Chori
                    • Nov 2020

A really excellent service, very well sung (a superb alto line) and played. And finally we can appreciate this Choir in its full glory: the Cathedral's microphone sistem used for their webcasts really does not give the justice it deserves (even if it seems quite improved since a couple of months ago).

The introit was a little bit quick (and with a quite odd latin pronunciation...) for my taste, but those chimes in the Nunc were a real treat!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                      Great music stunningly performed with a feeling of immense space around the worship culminating with the very exciting organ voluntary.
                      Yes, a wonderful Evensong
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Yes, a wonderful Evensong
                        Agreed. The opening of Leighton's Nunc is quite magical.

Comment

Working...
                        X