• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Lichfield Cathedral Advent Service

One of the girl choristers who appeared in the Chorister of the Year took part in this. (We were told about it by a Lichfield chorister parent.)

Scroll to bottom and click on the arrow,

The singing is, IMO, wonderful. It's an unusual format in that while the organist, readers and priest are filmed, the choristers are photographed in position but still. However, don't be put off by this! The presentation is most artistic, the heavily restored (by Gilbert Scott?) Gothic cathedral of the Three Spires being lit and filmed in a most imaginative way, obviously taking a lead from some of the best French illuminations. One nice feature is the 'track' the choristers' candles took around the cathedral. This is very much worth watching. Mrs A and I were transfixed.

The choir also sang in more resonant parts of the cathedral. The 'choir' area is actually quite dead acoustically as I remember it 50 years ago. Talking of which, the organ has been restored twice since I last played it, when it was a beautiful old Hill. But I digress. This is a first class Advent celebration, especially for those with artistic as well as musical tastes.
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    One of the girl choristers who appeared in the Chorister of the Year took part in this. (We were told about it by a Lichfield chorister parent.)

The singing is, IMO, wonderful. It's an unusual format in that while the organist, readers and priest are filmed, the choristers are photographed in position but still. However, don't be put off by this! The presentation is most artistic, the heavily restored (by Gilbert Scott?) Gothic cathedral of the Three Spires being lit and filmed in a most imaginative way, obviously taking a lead from some of the best French illuminations. One nice feature is the 'track' the choristers' candles took around the cathedral. This is very much worth watching. Mrs A and I were transfixed.

The choir also sang in more resonant parts of the cathedral. The 'choir' area is actually quite dead acoustically as I remember it 50 years ago. Talking of which, the organ has been restored twice since I last played it, when it was a beautiful old Hill. But I digress. This is a first class Advent celebration, especially for those with artistic as well as musical tastes.
    Thanks, will watch this. Lichfield Cathedral is my 'local' and where I twice sang as part of a RSCM diocese choir under Dr Gerald Knight in the 1960s and 70s. I usually attend their Christmas Eve carol service. This year however...
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

VG: not eye-catching, quietly no self-inflating gestures [e.g. look how good a window we are for composers on the make etc!].
      Good singing, good reading. And good to have lessons that are in some respects not altogether tied to everyone else's service.

Comment

• jonfan
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post

Thanks very much for this. It's everything you say above and more. The presentation has a simplicity that allows no distraction. An extremely moving experience.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
          Thanks very much for this. It's everything you say above and more. The presentation has a simplicity that allows no distraction. An extremely moving experience.

Comment

Working...
          X