X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roger Judd
    • Apr 2012

BBC Singers tribute to Sir Stephen Cleobury

I wonder whether anyone is listening to this recital of music associated with Stephen Cleobury, beautifully delivered by the BBC Singers, and conducted by one of SJC's King's organ scholars, Robert Quinney? Stephen's widow, Emma, is a very special guest presenter. A fitting programme for a great man.
    RJ
  • Rolmill
    • Nov 2010

Yes, I was able to listen to the first 20 minutes, which I enjoyed - beautiful music, well sung, interestingly (and movingly) presented. The Brahms motet was lovely, I thought. Will catch up with the rest of the recital over the weekend - I don't know the Maw or the Weir (presumably SC commissions?).

Comment

• choralmike
      • May 2017

I listened to the whole programme and really enjoyed it. It was a great idea to have such a moving and personal tribute. I loved the varied choice of music and the insights given by those interviewed by Emma Cleobury.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

I posted on the Afternoon Concert thread this morning. Not all the music to my taste but well sung (the distancing seems to have suited the BBCS), and Emma Cleobury's contribution excellent.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Judd View Post
          I wonder whether anyone is listening to this recital of music associated with Stephen Cleobury, beautifully delivered by the BBC Singers, and conducted by one of SJC's King's organ scholars, Robert Quinney? Stephen's widow, Emma, is a very special guest presenter. A fitting programme for a great man.
          RJ
          Yes, excellent - Emma C presented it perfectly, and the BBC Singers sounded much better than I ever remember them, good job from Robert Quinney.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

A lovely programme, really worth catching.

Comment

• Frances_iom
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
              A lovely programme, really worth catching.
              Emma Cleobury was an excellent presenter - sounded much too good to be an amateur in this role - the choir was also excellent, possibly due to the choice of works; all too often I find myself turning off the BBC singers as my ears feel tortured by the sounds produced even tho sometimes I suspect it was the sound desired by the composer.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                ...and the BBC Singers sounded much better than I ever remember them...
                I thought so too.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

I don't think anyone's posted a link on this thread:

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                      I don't think anyone's posted a link on this thread:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000phvv
                      I did on an existing thread which I think resulted in it getting missed?

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

I listened to the whole thing this afternoon, and agree it was fa fitting tribute to SC, was well-presented by Emma, and was well-sung by the BBCS under Robert Quinney's excellent direction. Of course the top-line isn't a 'boy/girl treble' sound, but it was a well blended professional consort sound with none of the awful wobble that has sometimes dogged the BBCS in the past. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

When are we going to hear more of Robert Quinney and New College Oxford? Their choir (under Edward H) was included in a playlist programme last week (can't remember where or when) singing Barber's own arrangement of his slow SQ movement set to Agnus Dei. Whatever you think of it as an over-ridden choral warhorse,
                        they did sing it with extraordinary poise and control....and at a solemn speed that needed incredible breath-control.

If anyone can direct me to anything NCO Choir has sung recently, do please send a link. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• cat
                          • May 2019

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                          I listened to the whole thing this afternoon, and agree it was fa fitting tribute to SC, was well-presented by Emma, and was well-sung by the BBCS under Robert Quinney's excellent direction. Of course the top-line isn't a 'boy/girl treble' sound, but it was a well blended professional consort sound with none of the awful wobble that has sometimes dogged the BBCS in the past. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

When are we going to hear more of Robert Quinney and New College Oxford? Their choir (under Edward H) was included in a playlist programme last week (can't remember where or when) singing Barber's own arrangement of his slow SQ movement set to Agnus Dei. Whatever you think of it as an over-ridden choral warhorse,
                          they did sing it with extraordinary poise and control....and at a solemn speed that needed incredible breath-control.

If anyone can direct me to anything NCO Choir has sung recently, do please send a link. Thanks in advance.
                          They were singing this live evensong earlier this evening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Ox8J0ubR8

Then there is their Sheppard recording with several never-recorded-before works, released last month (albeit recorded last year): https://www.linnrecords.com/recordin...ard-media-vita

More previously streamed live services on their YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/NewCollegeChoir/videos
                          Last edited by ardcarp; 22-11-20, 01:05. Reason: Edit Maybe Sat's CE deserves a sepatate post

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Thanks Cat.. Will try to buy the Shepherd CD (not keen on downloads!). Evensong not steaming yet, but will persist.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

I have been looking through this https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000phvvto try and work out if it might explain this
                              Bob Chilcott and Sir Stephen Cleobury - conductors
                              which appears in the listing here. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0012qzw for a concert on Christmas Eve.
                              My first thought was that the second half of this week's concert (which is where SC is listed as conductor)might contain excerpts from the 2019 one, however so far I've failed to spot any connection. It's quite possible I'm missing something obvious, such as being a repeat but not acknowledged as such in the schedule so would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas/inside info.
                              The magic of Christmas is one thing but this seems to be taking it a bit far...

Comment

Working...
                              X