• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Wellington Cathedral of St Paul, New Zealand [R] Wed, 7.x.20

CE Wellington Cathedral of St Paul, New Zealand
    Recorded 20 September 2020 by Radio New Zealand.

Order of Service:

Introit: Eternal Spirit (Philip Walsh)
    Responses: Peter Nardone
    Psalm 37 (Webb, Roseingrave)
    First Lesson: 1 Chronicles 29: 10-19
    Office hymn: May the mind of Christ our Saviour (St Leonards)
    Canticles: St Paul’s Evening Service (Andrew Baldwin)
    Second Lesson: Colossians 3:.12-17
    Anthem: I will hearken (Philip Walsh)
    Hymn: The day thou gavest, Lord, is ended (St Clement)

Voluntary: L’Orgue Mystique, No 32 (Alleluia No. 4) (Tournemire)

Richard Apperley (Assistant Director of Music)
    Michael Stewart (Organist and Director of Music)

• Cockney Sparrow
    • Jan 2014

On a long holiday touring NZ, the classical station was a welcome companion. So I was interested when the closure of the channel was announced. And now a CE recording……

Per the Guardian (which of course has an Australian edition) :
    Radio New Zealand Concert, the staid classical music arm of Radio New Zealand, does not usually create headlines. But the hackles of classical music lovers across the nation have been raised after the public broadcaster announced it was cutting much of the station to make way for programmes targeted at a younger audience.

Goes on to say the announcement provoked resistance (Kiri T K included) and then this :
    “I understand that RNZ has obligations to all New Zealanders, and it is their view that they are not catering for one sector,” Ardern said in the RNZ interview. “But it is my view as arts minister that one does not need to come at the cost of another.”

February 2020 - https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...each-crescendo

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
      On a long holiday touring NZ, the classical station was a welcome companion. So I was interested when the closure of the channel was announced. And now a CE recording……

Per the Guardian (which of course has an Australian edition) :
      Radio New Zealand Concert, the staid classical music arm of Radio New Zealand, does not usually create headlines. But the hackles of classical music lovers across the nation have been raised after the public broadcaster announced it was cutting much of the station to make way for programmes targeted at a younger audience.

Goes on to say the announcement provoked resistance (Kiri T K included) and then this :
      “I understand that RNZ has obligations to all New Zealanders, and it is their view that they are not catering for one sector,” Ardern said in the RNZ interview. “But it is my view as arts minister that one does not need to come at the cost of another.”

February 2020 - https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...each-crescendo
      Probably like the BBC who thinks that anyone over 70 is either dead or suffering from dementia and thus can be ignored so they can concentrate their input on an audience that isn’t interested in tuning in. No doubt they are playing lousy pop music instead!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
        • Jan 2014

Yes the story has the uncanny parallel with the BBC view - and also demonstrates, again, the sure handling of Ahern on matters concerning the welfare of the NZ public.

And we have, for example, Dowding writing threatening letters to directors of our art galleries (etc etc continued on page 90.....)

(Also, sorry about the thread drift - although I'm sure it can stand it in the early days before the broadcast).
        Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 07-10-20, 10:37. Reason: typo

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.

For info:

" Director: Michael Stewart

The Choir of Wellington Cathedral of St Paul is a mixed voice choir of 25 singers which has developed a reputation as one of the finest ensembles of its kind in Australasia. The choir has toured to Australia; Fiji; England and Ireland (2002); and England and Paris (2008). In addition to singing at the Cathedral, the choir has performed frequently in concerts and radio and television broadcasts. The choir has been fortunate to have award winning young Kiwi, Andrew Baldwin, as Composer-in-Residence at the Cathedral from 2007-2009. The choir has worked with conductors such as Andrew Lumsden, Director of Music, Winchester Cathedral, UK; Katherine Dienes-Williams, Director of Music, Guildford Cathedral UK; Dr Richard Marlow, Fellow in Music, Trinity College Cambridge; and Philip Scriven, Director of Music, Lichfield Cathedral. To mark the Jubilee of the Cathedral's consecration in 2014, the choir released ‘Eternal Spirit’, a recording of music written for the Cathedral over the last fifty years.
          Last edited by DracoM; 07-10-20, 11:54.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Dignified, balanced, unhurried, in a fine acoustic.
            Thx to NZ radio and BBC for this fruitful arrangement.

Comment

• Lizzie
              • Nov 2010

Lovely service. Thank you all at Wellington Cathedral. Lovely to hear my friend, Katie Lawrence, the Precentor there, and prior to that, our Curate at Winchester Cathedral! Glorious acoustic in that building. Stay safe, everyone there. Lizzie X

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Comment

Working...
                X