• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE St Martin-in-the-Fields, London [R] Wed, 26th Aug 2020

CE St Martin-in-the-Fields, London [R]
    St Martin’s Voices.

Recorded 18 August 2020.

Order of Service:

Introit: At the end of the day (Nils Greenhow) (first performance, commissioned for the service)
    Responses: Ben Parry
    Psalm 119 vv:145-176 (Goss, Mornington, Goss)
    First Lesson: Deuteronomy 11vv:1-21
    Office hymn: Take my life and let it be (Nottingham)
    Canticles: Sumsion in G
    Second Lesson: 2 Corinthians 9 vv: 6-15
    Anthem: Standing as I do before God (Cecilia McDowall)
    Prayer anthem: Hear my prayer (Moses Hogan)
    Hymn: O praise ye the Lord (Laudate Dominum)

Voluntary: Alleluyas (Simon Preston)

Ben Giddens (Associate Organist)
    Andrew Earis (Director of Music)

Last edited by DracoM; 25-08-20, 10:13.
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.
      Thanks for the reminder . I thought that was a wonderful service with quite a bit of music that was unfamiliar to me . Such beautiful singing - It strikes me that in musical terms at least the “Land of Milk and Honey” is to be found at the North Eastern edge of Trafalgar Square ....

Comment

• jonfan
        • Dec 2010

A fitting climax to the five CEs and superbly sung, but not only that but caught with state of the art sound in perfect balances that captured the acoustic of the empty church. A challenging solo in the introit, with a nice touch quoting ‘Lord of all hopefulness’, which was the first hymn sung five Evensongs ago! Attention holding delivery of the psalms and lovely performances of the canticles and anthems. Everything rounded off with the organ finally allowed to let rip in the thrilling Alleluyas! I liked the mood of devotion throughout and felt the music was there to aid and enhance; I particularly appreciated the short explanations before each item which helps the newcomer but without annoying the experienced.
        Thank you everyone for today and for all these five new services, I for one have fully enjoyed them. Where next, is that the end of live CEs for a while? It’s hard to see how choirs with young people in them can function properly for the immediate future though maybe university and college choirs can get going in the autumn? I hope so.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Jonfan -couldn’t agree more .And I would add my thanks to all those who made this superb mini-series possible.

Comment

• Roger Judd
            • Apr 2012

I absolutely agree with posts 4 & 5, this mini series has been almost superb. I say almost, because I thought the service No.3, with the BBC Singers and Rachel Mahon, was trying too hard, the voluntary especially, wonderfully played though it was. The other four services have had a delightfully devotional feel to them, which perfectly suited the situation, IMHO. All praise to Ben Giddins for his excellent contribution as organist.
            It will be a long time before we hear boys and girls singing evensong, I suspect, as they will have had six months of doing not very much at all. It will take many weeks of patient rehearsal before they can resume singing in the stalls, let alone broadcasting.
            RJ

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Tom McKinney with more musical moments from major European Festivals.

Interesting comparison of styles and repertoire in Tuesday's [24th] afternoon Festival roundup.
              i.e. Vox Clamantis sequences.
              Last edited by DracoM; 27-08-20, 14:06.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000m0v9

Interesting comparison of styles and repertoire in Tuesday's [24th] afternoon Festival roundup.
                Indeed (and I liked the story about why Vilde Frang ended up playing violin) but... CE and St Martin in the Fields?

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

.................by which I had meant a comparison between Vox Clam and the CE!

Comment

• jonfan
                    • Dec 2010

.................by which I had meant a comparison between Vox Clam and the CE!

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

OK, I know which one I preferred listening to - is that OK?>

Comment

• choralmike
                        • May 2017

We seem to have digressed,,,back to CE...and this CE was confirmation, if it was needed, of the musicianship, poise and communication of religious integrity.

Comment

• cat
                          • May 2019

Originally posted by Roger Judd View Post
                          It will be a long time before we hear boys and girls singing evensong, I suspect, as they will have had six months of doing not very much at all. It will take many weeks of patient rehearsal before they can resume singing in the stalls, let alone broadcasting.
                          RJ
                          Probably the wrong thread for it now, but St Paul's have just tweeted that the full choir will return for evensong from the second week of September.

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Hurray!!!!!

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Well, well...........so after the welcome PR / profile engagement with the public that same church got by hosting live CEs on R3, this is how they NOW feel able to act..... Hmm............

Comment

Working...
                              X