X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caussade
    • May 2011

London choir closures

It’s often crystal clear that many here have little regard for London professional church choirs. But whatever you think of the sound they make, they are an important part of the professional choral microcosm and sustain many singers’ livelihoods, so it’s depressing news that St Margaret’s Westminster has disbanded its choir with immediate effect. There will probably be more.
  • mopsus
    • Nov 2010

I believe Holy Trinity Sloane Sq has done likewise. I have marvelled in the past at how wealthy these churches (many of which rely on eclectic congregations) must be to sustain these choirs as they do.

Comment

• Caussade
      • May 2011

Mostly done on a deficit, actually...a tiny number have some sort of endowment or trust income, but they’re very much in a minority.

Comment

• Historian
        • Aug 2012

Very sad news: many years ago I used to attend All Saint's Margaret Street, which had a splendid professional choir. There will be many more examples of music professionals losing their livelihoods. The DCMS seems to have little or no real interest in music.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

The DCMS seems to have little or no real interest in music.
          Er, discuss!

It’s often crystal clear that many here have little regard for London professional church choirs. But whatever you think of the sound they make, they are an important part of the professional choral microcosm and sustain many singers’ livelihoods
          Agree absolutely. And as far as the 'sound' is concerned, some are quite full-bodied, so to speak, but that's fine with me. I'm all for a bit of variety. I remember one CE, years ago, which was broadcast live from St Clement Danes. Their small pro choir included a young James Bowman, and their performance of S.S. Wesley's Wilderness was so mind-blowing, I can recall it clearly even now.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Part of the 'London Choirs' thing is that so many sound like the BBC Singers, and by and large, that isn't a popular sound with some.
            NO-ONE suggests they are unmusical, lack discipline, or commitment or care for encouraging both singing and composers, but just..........well.......

Comment

• Resurgam
              Banned
              • Aug 2019

The Dean of Westminster said on Sunday that the Abbey faces serious financial problems as a result of 90% of its income coming from tourism and is about to start discussing staff redundancies. He never mentioned the choir specifically.

As far as I can see unless the government accepts that there will always be risks until a vaccine is found ( which it may never be) and lets us live with them, life will never get back to any semblance of normality.

There is also the possibility that the virus will just disappear as others have done in the past.

Personally, I doubt that church choirs can ever sing again unless social distancing, at least, is abandoned. Even the wide expanses of cathedral and some church naves will not easily allow it under present restrictions.

Comment

• Jack Pudding
                • Feb 2018

In response to the first comment on this thread - I can’t find any mention of the choir anywhere. I think people should be careful with their comments before leading us astray....

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jack Pudding View Post
                  In response to the first comment on this thread - I can’t find any mention of the choir anywhere. I think people should be careful with their comments before leading us astray....
                  As the impact of COVID-19 continues to devastate our communities, reports suggest a much-loved professional choir at the heart of London’s Westminster is to fall silent.

It's a bit vague, so isn't hard evidence.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Resurgam View Post
                    There is also the possibility that the virus will just disappear as others have done in the past.
                    That has to be a hope - what happened to SARs and MERSE? (I should find out, really...).

Meanwhile the problem for choral singing, classical performances and church attendance is that a large number of persons present fall into the vulnerable category at least by age if no other factor (I appreciate not so much Cathedral choirs).

Me included - I really don't fancy my chances if I get the virus - I've spent 6 weeks in ICU before - and will be reluctant to go to opera (regular attender) performances and practices at the 2 choirs I attend, nor the concert hall and theatre. My hope is for an effective vaccine, treatments or that the virus somehow "goes away".

Comment

• Wolsey
                      • Nov 2010

To be clear, Sunday services will cease at the church of St Margaret's, Westminster Abbey. This comes as a result of a financial decision because of the loss of tourist income. It is the cessation of services at the church that has led to the choir being told that they are no longer needed on Sundays. Special services will be held at the church from time to time, but it remains to be seen whether or not the choir will be required for them. The choir of Holy Trinity, Sloane Square has reportedly been disbanded, although services there will continue - without a choir.

Comment

• Jack Pudding
                        • Feb 2018

Thanks for the update. Let’s hope for the best.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          https://www.classicfm.com/music-news...oir-abolished/

It's a bit vague, so isn't hard evidence.
                          Fake news?

Comment

• choralmike
                            • May 2017

No one has mentioned a vaccine. That surely is the only safe and secure way in which choirs will be able to continue. Of course that won't be of much comfort to choirs which have already been disbanded or which are in jeopardy. As someone who has been involved with singing in amateur choirs for well over 50 years I find it very sad indeed.

Comment

• choralmike
                              • May 2017

Apologies, vaccines have been mentioned. With so many vaccine projects in progress surely something with be found in the coming months. As everyone is affected by this virus I'm sure that there will be even greater effort made.

Comment

Working...
                              X