• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Westminster Abbey - Start the Week

Andrew Marr and guests David Cannadine, Richard Harries and, er, Lucy Worsley presented the programme form the Abbey. They discussed the architecture (a bit) and the changing political and religious role of this royal peculiar through the centuries. Unbelievably, and despite the website picture, no mention was made of the choir and its daily fulfilment of the opus dei. [Unless I missed something.] Neither did they mention the stinging entrance fee for tourists!

Andrew Marr at Westminster Abbey with David Cannadine, Lucy Worsley and Richard Harries.
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Brilliant prog - heartily recommended
    David Cannadine was especially good.

Comment

• cat
      • May 2019

Yes, I was waiting for them to mention the choir too. I think Lucy was there to discuss her recent documentary on Tudor Christmas, and the producers obviously thought it would be a good idea to tie that in to the prior discussion about the Abbey

As to the entrance fee, debates on that matter have been going on for centuries. For example in 1613 letters patent were issued permitting the collection of fees for showing the monuments to visitors, with the proceeds supporting the minor canons and the choir. The rights and wrongs of the fee have been debated in parliament a number of times. In the Regency era it was even alleged in one debate that following divine service, members of the congregation would have the fee demanded of them on their way out, on account of them having sight of the monuments.
      Last edited by ardcarp; 23-12-19, 15:05.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I didn't edit your post cat! That was me pressing the wrong buttons. Thanks for your info about charging a fee. Most interesting.
        Draco, I also thought David C. was by far the best contributor to the debate.

Incidentally, Exeter Cathedral which rents out its large cathedral green to a weeks-long Christmas Market, waives its entry fee to the Cathedral during this period...a nice gesture.

Comment

Working...
        X