Ouch!
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Thank you for doing my job!!
      I think we’re still going to need a dedicated thread for the service on 24th, aren’t we? Full details in the OP would be useful, as ever...
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

They will appear.

Comment

• Resurgam
          Banned
          • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Make that two.

Recently back from Cambridge, including a lovely quiet, understated winter weekday Evensong at KCC. Palestrina Mag, Lassus Nunc, the Tallis O nata lux, plus an unadvertised bonus amongst the responses, the setting of the Lord’s Prayer by John Sheppard, stunning music. To my ears, the choir is sounding on top form - very impressed with Daniel Hyde from this first experience. Great blend, some spot-on solo singing, and impeccable treble sound.

A choir in very safe hands. I’m sure they’ll do the new commission full justice on 24th.
          Caliban,

I know you are a great supporter of King's and I wonder whether to your ears Dan Hyde appears to be changing the boys' sound or not?

When he was appointed there was some apprehension when he said that he preferred the St John's sound, not a very tactful comment and somewhat disloyal I thought. Some people envisaged King's sound becoming rather ugly as a result. You seem to be very happy with it.

I'm pleased you were impressed because others also queried his pedigree as a choir trainer which has been limited to Oxbridge colleges and a short spell at St Thomas's, New York.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurgam View Post
            Caliban,

I know you are a great supporter of King's and I wonder whether to your ears Dan Hyde appears to be changing the boys' sound or not?

When he was appointed there was some apprehension when he said that he preferred the St John's sound, not a very tactful comment and somewhat disloyal I thought. Some people envisaged King's sound becoming rather ugly as a result. You seem to be very happy with it.

I'm pleased you were impressed because others also queried his pedigree as a choir trainer which has been limited to Oxbridge colleges and a short spell at St Thomas's, New York.
            I didn’t know about those questionings...

On the basis of an initial 45 minutes last week, the treble sound seemed to these ears to be classic “King’s” in the best sense.

I confess to a mild allergy to the George Guest / John’s treble style so I think I’d have picked up any tendency in that direction

Hoping for one or two more opportunities to hear the choir live before the year is out so should be able to report further
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              Thank you for doing my job!!
              It happens to me too.

Comment

• cat
                • May 2019

Sorry if I trod on any toes in posting the service listing. I thought it pertinent to the question of how the commission might fit into the service as a whole.

I didn't notice any change in the sound of the choir at the evensong I attended last week. I doubt DH would prioritise getting his current trebles to make different noises during his first term. It won't be until 2023/24 that the choir will consist of singers auditioned by him alone, so perhaps a view on any change to the King's sound might more profitably be taken then.

I don't know if it is due to a particular intention by SC, but there is quite a variety amongst the senior trebles at the moment which reminds me of the emphasis on individuality that they have at NCO.

Comment

• cat
                  • May 2019

Daniel Hyde outlined his reasons for choosing Philip Moore in an article published today:

“I commissioned it for a number of reasons. I think Philip is very good, but also Stephen retired to York, which is a nice link. And when I was a chorister at Durham, I remember going to York for a choir festival when I was eight or nine years old and I remember Philip very clearly. I have been aware of his music and influence since then.”

Comment

• Wolsey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                    A disappointingly safe, conservative choice of new piece by the Stephen Cleobury's successor, Daniel Hyde. I was hoping for a commission from a younger composer, perhaps one whom he encountered in the USA.
                    "Disappointingly safe and conservative?" It was stunning. Congratulations, Philip.

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

As a completely irrelevant footnote to this thread may I just mention A.H. (Daddy) Mann who put King’s Choir on a proper footing and was Boris Ord’s predecessor. He was taught the organ by someone born in the 18th (yes, eighteenth) century...one Zechariah Buck.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                        may I just mention A.H. (Daddy) Mann who put King’s Choir on a proper footing and was Boris Ord’s predecessor.
                        You may!

53 years in post, and photographed here on the occasion of their first commercial recording together (Bach & Wood) in 1927. Dr Mann died four months after the second recording sessions (Bach & Brahms) two years later.

Comment

• cat
                          • May 2019

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                          As a completely irrelevant footnote to this thread may I just mention A.H. (Daddy) Mann who put King’s Choir on a proper footing and was Boris Ord’s predecessor. He was taught the organ by someone born in the 18th (yes, eighteenth) century...one Zechariah Buck.
                          Zechariah Buck was himself a renowned choir trainer and was the originator of the concept of probationer choristers. I've not however found evidence that Mann adopted his mentor's famous and by all accounts effective technique of plying chorister soloists with port during services.

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

53 years in post, and photographed here on the occasion of their first commercial recording together (Bach & Wood) in 1927
                            I don't suppose the names of the back row are attached to the photo? If so look out for a Hetley and a House. These two delightful gents, Derek and Vernon respectively, were resident in the small town to which we moved 40 years ago. Both have long since died of course, but they were steadfast friends of ours and (unbelievably) still singing bass and alto in the church choir. I can almost certainly recognise one, but age having had its effect, I'm not sure about the other. Incidentally, Derek Hetley (who was partly responsible for Mann's harmonisation of Once in Royal....another story) had a leg amputated in the last few years of life. This did not deter him from choral duties, and there was a roster of choirboys who would collect him in his wheelchair and head chaotically downhill to Sunday service. It was a bit of a puff up the hill afterwards, but it was all done with great good humour.

Comment

Working...
                            X