X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonfan
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mw963 View Post
    Agree with Master Jacques fully. The BBC has - since 1992 and the Kenyon vandalism - succeeded in buggering up Radio 3 on an epic scale. They seem determined to do the opposite of anything that I would welcome. And Radio 3 was just the start, I find myself watching and listening to very little BBC output now, and recently even the Radio 4 Six O'Clock News (which I've listened to religiously since 1977 when it took on its current half-hour format) now has me saying "I'm not sure I trust the BBC version of events and its slanted delivery any more".
    Wow, ‘wrist slashing’ the only sensible option according to you MW. Needless to say I don’t agree with any of your views stated above. If you think the BBC version of events is ‘slanted’ where would you go in the UK for one that’s not?
    Superb spirited singing as noted above. Wonderful to experience the clergy accents of the period.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

The last time I went to evensong at Christ Church we were invited to sit in the choir and indeed I had a similar experience the last time I went to Exeter. We were made very welcome and indeed at Oriel or Magdalen (can’t remember precisely
      ) on one occasion invited , along with bemused tourists , for a post evensong sherry! Despite the cuts isn’t the real purpose of these broadcasts to give an opportunity for those not able to take part to join in the experience - whether for music or indeed religious reasons ?

Comment

• underthecountertenor
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by AuntyKezia View Post
        Going back to message #6, I was at the live broadcast from The Queen's College, Oxford on 30 October when the BBC producer thanked the choir for working hard on two consecutive days so that another service could be recorded for future broadcast - I'm not sure when. So it seems they sometimes do take advantage of such opportunities.
        For 'sometimes' read 'pretty much every time' these days. It happened at St Albans in October, and is happening again at Exeter this week.

The risk is that it is to the detriment of the live broadcast, as by then the choir will have had a long rehearsal and a recording the evening before and another long rehearsal on the day itself.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

The last time I went to evensong at Christ Church we were invited to sit in the choir and indeed I had a similar experience the last time I went to Exeter. We were made very welcome and indeed at Oriel or Magdalen.....
          ...as it should be. Sadly I had a rather un-welcoming experience at Westminster Abbey. Having waited in a queue and been searched (understandable at a high-risk location) I was led to some wooden chairs well to the East of the choir. The actual choir didn't seem to be pointing [no pun intended] in my direction...and in any case it was virtually drowned by the organ. I left feeling distinctly excluded. This was some time ago and things may have changed, but surely it is part of a church's mission to make visitors to a liturgical service feel 'included' ?

Comment

• Y Mab Afradlon
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            .Sadly I had a rather un-welcoming experience at Westminster Abbey. Having waited in a queue and been searched (understandable at a high-risk location) I was led to some wooden chairs well to the East of the choir. The actual choir didn't seem to be pointing [no pun intended] in my direction...and in any case it was virtually drowned by the organ. I left feeling distinctly excluded. This was some time ago and things may have changed, but surely it is part of a church's mission to make visitors to a liturgical service feel 'included' ?
            My last visit to the Abbey was three years ago after a visit to the House of Commons for a seminar attended by school leaders. The Abbey closed to visitors at 3.30 so waited patiently outside listening to music on my iPod. At 4.45 security guards checked my briefcase and I was subjected to a rather crude body search. I then went in to the Abbey and was led down the north nave aisle to where about 20 people we waiting to be admitted for Evensong. The vergers allowed us in at 5.15 where we were able to be seated in the choir. A rather large and unfriendly female verger bellowed instructions to people to "Move up ... Yes you, Yes you up, we can get at least three more people in .... and other aggressive instructions" Not an ideal way to prepare for a service
            In all my years as a Primary Head teacher none of my staff ever spoke to parents like that when we were trying to get parents to sit in school performance let alone a Royal Peculiar.
            I visit many Cathedrals each year to listen to Evensong but that experience has deterred me from attending again despite the service being one of the finest I've ever heard. This includes listening to King's during the time of Philip Ledger, St John's under George, the Abbey in Simon Preston's time, Barry Rose at St Paul's Christopher Robinson's Windsor Choir, Francis Grier's Christ Church and I could go on......... I think we are all tourists in the eyes of the Abbey staff
            Last edited by Y Mab Afradlon; 11-11-19, 20:53.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              ...as it should be. Sadly I had a rather un-welcoming experience at Westminster Abbey. Having waited in a queue and been searched (understandable at a high-risk location) I was led to some wooden chairs well to the East of the choir. The actual choir didn't seem to be pointing [no pun intended] in my direction...and in any case it was virtually drowned by the organ. I left feeling distinctly excluded. This was some time ago and things may have changed, but surely it is part of a church's mission to make visitors to a liturgical service feel 'included' ?
              It should not be beyond the wit of man to be welcoming and secure. At St Paul’s there are chairs with a reasonable view of proceedings and a good balanced sound . I wasn’t searched ( four years ago) and a lot of effort was made to keep visitor noise to a minimum.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

but that experience has deterred me from attending again
                I feel the same.

I think we are all tourists in the eyes of the Abbey staff
                'Fraid so,

Comment

• W.Kearns
                  • Dec 2010

[QUOTE= I think we are all tourists in the eyes of the Abbey staff[/QUOTE]

But surely even - particularly - tourists should be made to feel welcome - ?

Comment

Working...
                  X