• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lizzie View Post
    EA - I can absolutely empathise with your view. I'm feeling rather poorly at the moment but, the sound of CE from Buckfast this afternoon has lifted and calmed my spirits immensely, for which I am very grateful.
    Bws. Liz

Comment

• Lizzie
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Thank you! :D

Comment

• spasuit

The offence is not on my part but against reason and evidence as regards religious belief..

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by spasuit View Post
          The offence is not on my part but against reason and evidence as regards religious belief..
          As Draco pointed out "one of the main reasons that CE appears on The Choir [ and this Forum] is the musical content which embraces well over a thousand years of the European tradition, which in turn feels like a pretty damned good reason for listening and getting to know a fairly enormous repertoire, eh?

You may not like the reason the hour is on in the first place, but the quality of music making is usually extraordinarily high"

So, on the basis that you are happy to hear Byrd, Gibbons, Bach, et al, it's the inclusion of the Readings and Prayers that bothers you, not the music? Not wishing to appear rude but it seems you have a choice not to listen to the programme at all by tuning into something else. Simples.
          Last edited by Guest; 29-07-11, 14:20.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

This forum is for the discussion of the music content of Choral Evensong.

If you wish to discuss the irrational nature of religious belief, please do so on Platform 3 or Arts & Ideas.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lizzie
              • Nov 2010

Depends on what you call reason and evidence... It occurs to me that, for a belief to have survived attack and persecution for two thousand years, and for which many gentle and caring people have been prepared to lay down their lives and to which, so many have given a life of love and service, there just might be something in it. Not to mention the Glorious music inspired by it. Never mind, we'll have to each take our chances when we shuffle of our MORTAL coils and find out the truth on the other side eh?!
              Bws. Liz

Comment

• jonfan
                • Dec 2010

Getting back to the matter in hand, the September BBC Music magazine indicates the first 3.30pm Evensong is on the 14th from Neresheim Abbey, Germany followed by St Matthew's, Northampton on the 21st and Southern Cathedrals Festival from Winchester on the 28th. It's likely that the Northampton broadcast is the only live one.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Thanks for info

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

What's happened to the page that used to detail CEs for several weeks/months ahead? I thought I had it bookmarked but haven't. But perhaps it's been pulled?
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

As you were - it's still there but doesn't give the programme timings.

Comment

Working...
                      X