• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lizzie
    • Nov 2010

k
    Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    12 choristers leaving WinchChoir, lizzie? Do you really mean that? 12 at one go???
    Forgot to add that Brian and Susan Rees also had their final farewell at the same service. They will be sadly missed but will thankfully be staying around Winchester. Wonderful people.

Comment

• AuntyKezia
      • Jul 2011

This is my first post - really just to thank Lizzie for alerting me (and of course others) to the Southern Cathedrals Festival in good time to get tickets. It was truly wonderful! I decided to avoid any possible problems with parking etc so went by train (on time both ways!), then stayed 3 nights B & B just a few minutes' walk from the Cathedral. I hoped to be able to spot Lizzie after all her enthusiastic posts on here, but no luck there - of course there were several hundred people in attendance at every event.

For me the highlights were two pieces I knew and loved from recordings but had never experienced live before - the Burgon 'Nunc dimittis' and the Harris 'Bring us O Lord God' - and also the Part which was completely new to me. There's something very special about being absorbed into such superlative music-making over the course of four days ...

Comment

• Lizzie
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AuntyKezia View Post
        This is my first post - really just to thank Lizzie for alerting me (and of course others) to the Southern Cathedrals Festival in good time to get tickets. It was truly wonderful! I decided to avoid any possible problems with parking etc so went by train (on time both ways!), then stayed 3 nights B & B just a few minutes' walk from the Cathedral. I hoped to be able to spot Lizzie after all her enthusiastic posts on here, but no luck there - of course there were several hundred people in attendance at every event.

For me the highlights were two pieces I knew and loved from recordings but had never experienced live before - the Burgon 'Nunc dimittis' and the Harris 'Bring us O Lord God' - and also the Part which was completely new to me. There's something very special about being absorbed into such superlative music-making over the course of four days ...
        Oh Auntiekezia, I so wish I'd known you were joining us. Please come and visit us again for another service and let me know in advance - we have the personal message facility on this Forum - so we can say hello. Hopefully you found a welcome at Winchester anyway and if you came by train, will be back... Keep an eye on the Winchester Cathedral website for coming events and if you're a Facebook user, as I am, you can now go to the Winchester Cathedral Choir page, 'like' it and keep updated with all they do. Wasn't the Burgon Nunc beautiful? The trumpet playing of Julian Poore in that and the Leighton Easter Sequence made the hair on the back of my neck stand up! We were SO lucky to have been there for the Festival and Thanks so much for coming to support it all. Very best wishes and also Welcome to this Forum! Liz

Comment

• gainasbass

Originally posted by Lizzie View Post
          Are we speaking of a young man who went to a wellknown broadcaster or another...?! If so, he was there certainly Sat and yesterday... Another wonderful voice.
          Lizzie, the young man concerned featured as the soloist in Howells 'A Spotless Rose' on the "Advent in Winchester - O Come, Emmanuel" CD produced in 2006. The entire CD was wonderfully sung, and played (AL's tempo in "Wachet auf" was very interesting!) bws

Comment

Working...
          X