• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

An old chorister

This is going to ba a somewhat touchy-feely post for this feisty forum. (Stop reading now if you're not up for it.)
    A few evenings ago I parked the car and heaved a small but heavy suitcase out of the boot. It was full of folders of music for one of those scratch choirs that has music thrown at them for the one-and-only rehearsal. An old fellow, wearing trainers (beyond the age where common decency forbids the wearing of trainers) a woollen hat (complete with pom-pom) and a rucksack on his back (Val deri, etc) came up to me and said, that looks heavy (referring to my case). He was clearly a bit of a lonely old guy and eager to engage in conversation. Realising I had a few minutes in hand, I put it down and said, "Try the weight". Which he did. Then the inevitable, "Blimey, what've you got in there mate?" I replied that it was music and after a bit more only slightly witty badinage, he said, "I'm a singer". I said, "I guess you're a tenor."
    "How d'you know that?"
    "It's the sound of your speaking voice....where do you sing?
    "Oh I write my own songs and sing them for old people, y'know in care homes and that."
    I was genuinely impressed. He went on:
    "I learned all my music as a chorister in our local church. I loved it. We had such a great time. I just wish I could go back and thank the choirmaster for all he did for us"

At this point I made a point of looking at my watch, made a few pleasantries, wished him all the best, and hurried off.
    In truth, I was slightly moist around the eyes.

Lessons to be learned here (a) about the power of music in kids' lives and (b) how important some sort of mentor is, whatever the field of interest.
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Comment

• greenilex
      • Nov 2010

Lovely story. We all need to remember to thank our teachers while we still have the chance...

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Lothian Region Council have just defeated a proposal to stop ALL instrumental tuition. Funding cuts are blamed.

Comment

Working...
        X