X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
    The 119-page wine list of Clos Maggiore, one of my recent après-Ring eateries, offers La Romanée DRC 1996 for £23,100 a bottle. Our amazing cathedral girls' choir was established four years ago with scholarships to the value of a mere Richebourg 2008.

(should you wish to pre-order your wines for decanting)
    You can either buy a house up the road from me for that much
    AND still get something drinkable from Lidl with the change

I really doubt that they ever sell a bottle though (but might be wrong?)

Comment

• Vox Humana
      • Dec 2012

Crumbs. Do people actually pay e.g. £86 for a Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2017 that they can get for £21 from Morrisons?

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Asking a question which is not entirely irrelevant to this thread, is the glorification of very expensive bottles of wine a male thing? My only experience of this (moving normally in ever so 'umble circles) was on completion of a sailing jaunt from Falmouth to Bordeaux. On arrival, the skipper took us all (four blokes) to a restaurant and said that as this was a very special occasion for him he was going to order a 'very nice' bottle of wine. It was a Chateau Margaux (don't ask me what vintage) and I observed that it cost 800 francs, which, although I can't remember the exchange rates from the 1990s, seemed at the time quite a lot per mouthful. My companions were oohing and aahing about it, whilst I kept my private thoughts (along the lines of, 'I'd be just as happy with a £5 bottle from the off-licence down the road, and maybe we could have drunk three of four of those') to myself.

Anyone, male or female, got some wine stories?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Asking a question which is not entirely irrelevant to this thread, is the glorification of very expensive bottles of wine a male thing?
          I think it's quite a British/English thing (though I won't say exclusively). My best wine story is taking a 1-litre water bottle to the market in Nîmes and getting it filled up with the local plonque (if I remember, for about 45p). And the family (classe-moyenne ) I stayed with in their résidence secondaire just outside Toulouse bought their wine at the local supermarket.

I have an unsupported suspicion that some blokes like spending an ostentatious amount on a bottle of wine
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Keraulophone
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            Chateau Margaux
            Fine wine retail prices can certainly be a mystery: Ch Margaux in three very fine vintages 2015*, 2010 and 2005 had the same average score on wine-searcher.com of 97/100, yet the corresponding average prices are £1100, £594 and £556 per 75cl (ex-tax).

(*albeit in a fancy black 200th anniversary commemorative bottle)

Don't fret... the excellent second wine, 2015 Pavillon Rouge du Ch Margaux (av. 93/100) is a snip at just £140 + duty + tax (incl. tax on the duty!), and since 2013 there's even a third wine made from the youngest vines, Margaux du Château Margaux, which they must be giving away.

(Apologies - that probably was entirely irrelevant to this thread.)
            Last edited by Keraulophone; 12-12-18, 12:49. Reason: Realisation of irrelevance.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              I think it's quite a British/English thing (though I won't say exclusively). My best wine story is taking a 1-litre water bottle to the market in Nîmes and getting it filled up with the local plonque (if I remember, for about 45p). And the family (classe-moyenne ) I stayed with in their résidence secondaire just outside Toulouse bought their wine at the local supermarket.

I have an unsupported suspicion that some blokes like spending an ostentatious amount on a bottle of wine
              I reckon there are more blokes looking for bargain wine bottles.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                • Nov 2010

the family bought their wine at the local supermarket.
                The last time I went into an E. Leclerc supermarket (Tours), the wine section included a display of every vintage of 1er cru Ch Mouton Rothschild since WW2.
                Last edited by Keraulophone; 13-12-18, 11:23. Reason: sp

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                  The last time I went onto an E. Leclerc supermarket (Tours), the wine section included a display of every vintage of 1er cru Ch Mouton Rothschild since WW2.
                  Touché

But my point stands. There was never much discussion en famille as to what the wine was. There were preferences as to wheher red or white might be preferable with a particular dish, with red usually preferred with most cheeses. But I suspect even the obligatory cheese course appears less frequently than it used to.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

..but for a non-sweet white wine with fish, this is one of my faves:

...preferably bien frais.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

I made a tarte flambée and thought I'd risk a German wine from the Palatinate region, as they also make the dish (Flammeküche). Once only. Thereafter, I've preferred the Coop's Spanish Dry White, currently £4.30 per bottle, chilled (and 50p off with a member's white wine coupon).

QED - There is a difference between boys and girls

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

They are often blessed with more money than sense. There are good and bad wines at most prices. There is much derision of 'supermarket plonk'. For me I have some under £5 favourites from Aldi and Lidl, and for a little more a good southern French Viognier at Sainsburys. Seems like we've digressed from trebles to tipples.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Seems like we've digressed from trebles to tipples.
                          And why not? - possibly less divisive

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                            And why not? - possibly less divisive
                            Indeed - White, Rose, Red - there's good in all - not forgetting a good pint of beer!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

I've not read this
                              but some of you might find it interesting (not sure if it's been mentioned before ?) it appeared on FB with a joke about Ms Garrett

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                Indeed - White, Rose, Red - there's good in all - not forgetting a good pint of beer!
                                And - if we want to return to Trebles - Single Malt Whiskies!
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X