Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Worcester Cathedral Wed, 28th Nov 2018 [A]

CE Worcester Cathedral Wed, 28th Nov 2018 [A]
    First broadcast 13th December 1995

Order of Service:

Introit: My days are gone (Blow)
    Responses (Reading)
    Psalms 69, 70 (B. Cooke, R. Cooke, Purcell)
    First Lesson: Isaiah 8 v.16 - 9 v.7
    Canticles: Blow in G
    Second Lesson: Matthew 16: 1-12
    Anthem: O sing unto the Lord (Purcell)
    Hymn: Hark, the glad sound (Bristol)

Organ Voluntary: Voluntary for a Double Organ (Blow)

Raymond Johnston (Organist)
    Donald Hunt (Director of Music)

• mopsus
    • Nov 2010

Presumably in tribute to Donald Hunt, who died earlier this year. Worcester Cathedral at the moment is in transition between DoMs (James Lancelot is Interim DoM according to the website).

Comment

• Finzi4ever
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
      Presumably in tribute to Donald Hunt, who died earlier this year. Worcester Cathedral at the moment is in transition between DoMs (James Lancelot is Interim DoM according to the website).
      #
      Without wishing to encourage speculation, why did Peter Nardone leave Worcester before a successor was appointed?

Comment

• mopsus
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
        #
        Without wishing to encourage speculation, why did Peter Nardone leave Worcester before a successor was appointed?
        I believe that this year he had to care for a relative who became seriously ill overseas and this wasn't compatible with his duties at Worcester.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
          • Nov 2010

That's very tough indeed: poor chap. Is there thought of a return at some point?

Comment

• mopsus
            • Nov 2010

I have seen some of his Facebook posts (he is a friend of several friends of mine) which indicated that he is looking forward to building up a freelance career. Meanwhile, Worcester are at the interview stage for his replacement.
            Last edited by mopsus; 27-11-18, 12:25.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Only 23 years ago, and cathedral choirs sounded, well, different! It was good to hear 'verse' canticles and verse anthem (with strings). This repertoire doesn't seem to be broadcast so often these days. I recall that Donald Hunt was one of those who 'made it' from a non-Oxbridge background. He became assistant to Herbert Sumsion at Gloucester in his teens, and at some point became organist of Leeds Parish Church (now 'Minster'). I think he also conducted one of the big northern choral societies (Halifax?). This archive broadcast came over as very well balanced on my steam radio; choir never smothered by organ or strings.

Comment

• mw963
                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                  . This archive broadcast came over as very well balanced on my steam radio; choir never smothered by organ or strings.
                  Interesting, and probably because back then mono compatibility was considered vital (as it should be), whereas now "anything goes", which might be OK in stereo or on headphones, but has led to some of the muddy sounds we've commented on in the last couple of years.

Very fine broadcast in any case.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Some pretty nifty treble singing in the Purcell, men not quite so adroit. Interesting.

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Donald Hunt's obit. from the Church Times:

Dr Simon Lindley writes: A WARTIME Gloucester Cathedral chorister, Donald Frederick Hunt served as ...

(I've posted a bit about Herbert Sumsion under 'S' in the Composers sub-forum.)

Comment

• mopsus
                        • Nov 2010

I've learned that Sam Hudson has been appointed DoM at Worcester.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                          • Nov 2010

From Worcester Cathedral's website:

Director of Music at Worcester Cathedral

The chapter of Worcester Cathedral is delighted to announce the appointment of Samuel Hudson as organist and director of music at Worcester Cathedral. Sam has been the director of music at Blackburn Cathedral since 2011, where he is also the artistic director of the Friends of Blackburn Cathedral Music, and he regularly works for the BBC as organist and director of the Daily Service.

The Dean of Worcester, the Very Reverend Dr Peter Atkinson, said, ‘We’re enormously pleased that Sam has accepted our invitation to come to Worcester, and we know that he’ll make an invaluable contribution to Worcester’s distinguished musical tradition.’ The precentor, the Reverend Canon Dr Michael Brierley, said, ‘I’m hugely excited by Sam’s appointment, and am very much indeed looking forward to working with him, and to welcoming him and Louise to Worcester.’

The dean of Blackburn, the Very Reverend Peter Howell-Jones, said, ‘While I’m delighted by Sam’s appointment as organist and director of music at Worcester Cathedral, I’m deeply sorry to be losing him. He is a gifted musician and has contributed significantly to the development of music here in Blackburn. I’m absolutely sure that he’ll be a great blessing in his new role and bring freshness and creativity in an already well-established department.’

Sam Hudson said, ‘I am thrilled and honoured to have been chosen as Worcester Cathedral’s next organist and director of music. It is a privilege to have an opportunity to come to a cathedral, city and region so steeped in musical heritage, while also home to living music-making of the highest standards. I very much look forward to working with new colleagues in Worcester and to joining the cathedral community in due course.’

30 November 2018

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

The following link (though probably written a while ago) outlines some of Sma's musical activities:

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Aha! Only just appeared on Worcs website??
                              Tried yesterday and got zilch.

Comment

Working...
                              X